Letting them see you collect eggs

GarlicEater

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Gilroy, CA
Ok maybe it's just a weird idea I got somewhere, but .... Is it bad to let your hens see you collecting their eggs? I know a lot of coops have these little doors etc so you can reach into the nest boxes and pick up eggs, is this for convenience or is it also because if they see you taking their eggs they'll hide them or stop laying them?

Hmmm....I don't think mine care at all. I do have external nesting boxes and they come running in the box when they hear me open the top. They are always seeking attention and a hand-out.

Last edited:
I've been using a styrofoam egg carton and I just pop 'em in. The coop the land owner built has a neato door on the back .... that doesn't seem to work. So I just go in there and gather the eggs, put some new bedding in, and just in general have a look at things. At least the front door latch works great from the outside, from the inside, I have to stick my fingers through the chicken wire and work the latch. Sheesh. Generally they all feel cornered in the nest box part and skedaddle, except maybe one that hovers over the eggs a bit.

Mine don't seem to care at all when I take the eggs, but they don't like to be disturbed while they are still laying them!
smile.png

I will collect eggs that the broodies are sitting on. I have had a couple of very cranky broodies, but I usually distract them with what ever is handy and then quickly grab the eggs. The silkies don't seem be cranky at all and they will let me pet them and grab the eggs.

Mine don't seem to be bothered by me taking them. I have one that likes to be petted when she is laying her egg. If you stop to leave the coop, she will hop off the nest. You go right back in and she will hop back in there and carry on, but she is a strange little bug anyways. She talks constantly, and seems to rather spend her time with you than with the other chickens.

Mine don't care either. As long as they are not in the nest. If they are than they yell at me. Silly chickens.

Actually I get the feeling they don't know I'm taking something they laid. Once they know I don't have a treat, or they already got it, they ignore me.

Except broodies, that's a different thing!

I think your giving your Hen's to much credit, they don't care they don't comprehend that the way you do. No need to fret over it.

AL

Back
Top Bottom