Leveling duck house on slope

Lover duck duck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Hello,
I am building a duck house with a 30’ x 30’ predator proof run. The duck house is 8’ x 8’ for my 10 ducklings. I have a set of plans to build the duck house they way I want it, but the plans do not tell you what to do when the ground is on a slight slope. I am going to attach some pictures so y’all can see what i mean. What is the best thing to use to level that floor? The walls are going on the outside leveled with the post but I just can’t figure out weather to use cinder blocks or not and how to keep any predators from going under once it is lifted off the ground? Please help! I need to get this build and finish my ducklings are getting to big to be in the house. They will be 7 weeks old next Monday.

Attachments

• 7ECCAF22-9BE0-4711-AFB6-9DBF3F4D0ABF.jpeg
    7ECCAF22-9BE0-4711-AFB6-9DBF3F4D0ABF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 8C4D0463-EEC6-4D4E-A5B1-53C136A05CC1.jpeg
    8C4D0463-EEC6-4D4E-A5B1-53C136A05CC1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • EEE270E7-1520-435F-9AF9-598FB6730A39.jpeg
    EEE270E7-1520-435F-9AF9-598FB6730A39.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • FF853944-4A81-4C34-A7EA-1D18206A2FEF.jpeg
    FF853944-4A81-4C34-A7EA-1D18206A2FEF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
If it was me I'd use cinder blocks. Does two things for you. #1 levels out the coop, without have to modify the structure in some complicated way. #2. keeps to wood off the ground which reduces rotting.

As for predators getting under the coop there are several ways to handle that. You can do either chicken wire or hardware cloth. you can either bury one end into the ground a foot or so and staple the other end to wood structure of the coop or you could run a small 2X@ at ground level to attach the wire to. The most secure would be the hardware cloth buried into the ground, the easiest would be chicken wire attached to a 2X2. You have to decide based on what you're concerned about getting under the coop.

If it was me I'd use cinder blocks. Does two things for you. #1 levels out the coop, without have to modify the structure in some complicated way. #2. keeps to wood off the ground which reduces rotting.

As for predators getting under the coop there are several ways to handle that. You can do either chicken wire or hardware cloth. you can either bury one end into the ground a foot or so and staple the other end to wood structure of the coop or you could run a small 2X@ at ground level to attach the wire to. The most secure would be the hardware cloth buried into the ground, the easiest would be chicken wire attached to a 2X2. You have to decide based on what you're concerned about getting under the coop.
Thanks for your reply. My main concern is raccoons. We have a family of them living by the ditch next to our house. We are in central Florida, as you can see by the pictures is all sand because my horses have killed all the grass , so my concern with cinderblocks is will they sink eventually or is there something special I need to do to keep that from happening. Cost is not a concern, my concern is it being easy for me since I am a woman doing all this on my own. And of course making sure nothing goes under but I will do what you said with hardware cloth. Thanks again.

I used cap blocks from Lowes, to level my coop. I used HWC down to the ground and out to make an apron.View attachment 1420566
That looks awesome. Mine is not that steep it’s approximately 7 inches from the left side if you look at the pictures and the right side just a couple. Do the cap blocks come smaller or are those stacked? I love the way yours came out. Thanks.

I have them stacked. If it's not quite level, use pieces of roof shingle to shim it. Get a couple scrap shingles from Lowes, if you don't have any. Cap blocks come in two thicknesses 4 x 8 x 16 and 2 x 8 x 16.

Back
Top Bottom