Leveling sand??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsplus, Jun 20, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    What is leveling sand? I was pricing sand at Lowe's the other day and leveling sand is 0.60 a bag less than play sand. Wondered if this would be OK. I have to get bagged sand b/c I don't have a way to pick it up in bulk and don't need enough to pay for someone to deliver it. So wondering if leveling sand is OK for runs. ??

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I think thats the sand they use under pavers ....I think it should be ok.

3. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Dunno, cuz this is my first run, but:

Play sand is more consistent and usually smaller in granule size and is just generally more aesthetic, but dem chickens don't care 'bout dat, lol!

Leveling sand has a greater variation in granule sizes, plus it doesn't compact AS much as play sand, since it's not as fine. Personally, I would use the leveling sand over the PS for that reason alone, much less the cost.

I used some beat up bags of sand that I gotten for winter weight in my truck, and they love it... Dunno [​IMG]

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Get the cheapest sand you can find. After a couple of months of chicken "Use", You won't be able to tell the cheap sand from the pretty white "Sandbox" sand.
    Jack

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    OK. The leveling sand can be "grit" as well, right? Which the play sand cannot?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by