LF Chocolate Brown Colored Orpington

Quote:
You got this guy:
5806_dscf0092.jpg

from a blueXbuff mating?
I've only gotten chicks with a mix of buff & blue feathers from that mating. It gives me hope for my future if your sure that's correct.
big_smile.png

added: here they are as babies
group3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I`m sure, I got him as well as these other 2 roos and 3 pullets pictured from buff hens/blue roo.
5806_dscf0086.jpg

5806_dscf0120.jpg
5806_dscf0073.jpg

Parents of above birds:
5806_dscf0094.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... your blue roosters looks different than I've seen..
Our results were very different, I wonder if it's just some of the variations of the color combination or if our blues and our buffs have seriously different genes making up their colors.

I'll be pulling more blueXbuff and blackXbuff eggs in a couple months to see what else I get. I have a different Blue roo now for the daddy and new blue hens to work into the mix too.

Its wonderful when people, like yourself, are willing to show the results of their breeding pens, it helps us ALL learn. so THANK YOU!

WEll I don't care what anyone says TONY.. Youve got a rarity.. and I would go for color and keep all dark chocolates and then once you have that gene worked out.. then clean up the type to APA standard..

WAY COOL.. though.. Way Cool.. You're lucky. Good luck and have fun.. you got some cool looking birds.. mutts or not..

By the way, there are two different colors commonly referred to as chocolate. The Dun gene which is present here in the US and works like the blue gene. Offspring from a dun x dun will be 25% black, 25% khaki, and 50% dun. The other gene is a recessive gene that produces a chocolate coloration. Two birds that are bred together showing the chocolate coloration will throw 100% chocolate colored chicks due to the recessive genes pairing up. I have heard that there are a few Seramas in the US that have the true Chocolate (recessive) gene but don't quote me on that.

I assume what you are hoping you have stumbled across is the recessive gene, not the dun gene that several people have referred to. It would be fairly simple to introduce that gene into the Orpington breed, although quite another matter entirely to regain type.

Good luck with your project!

here is the Cockerel i got from Dawn not to long ago hes beautiful hes now living on my uncles farm with a lot of Buff & White Orp Pullets... this is the best picture i could get atm hes to girl crazy chasing after his gals.... what do you think babies would look like if i bred him to buff or white orps?

img01064.jpg

bigboii.jpg

Last edited:
With recessive whites ANYTHING can happen, and teh outcome from one recessive white will be different than from another recessive white. Recessive white turns OFF the display of all colour and pattern genes. So breeding to a recessive white is like reaching into the pantry without looking and grabbing an unknown can of something to add to your soup. You might have added a can of chili, or green beans or peaches.

Back
Top Bottom