LF - Grape Leaf Pickle Recipe

Kim_NC

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Mt Airy, NC
I'm looking for a Grape Leaf Pickle recipe - they're a dill or kosher type pickle that includes grape leaves canned in the jar with the pickles.

Anybody have a favorite to share?

Thanks...Kim

Quote:
You just gave me the greatest memory of my mom. She used to pickle with grape leaves. There was an old man that lived out in the country that had grape vines. I would go out there with her while she picked her grape leaves and eat grapes! I couldn't have been over 5 years old. I will look around and see if I can find her recipe. I am thinking that it was sweet pickles she made though. Thanks for the smile!

Well I have a bumper crop of cukes this year & plenty of grapevines too, so this weekend I am going to try this! I canned the rest using lime water so it'll be interesting to see which is crisper, or if there's any difference at all.

Isn't it great, the memories canning can bring back? I use the same butter churn crock to soak mine in that my Grandmother used, it is well over 100 years old. It has always been very carefully cherished & protected. I remember "helping" churn butter in it when I was little - before school age, gee that was over 45 years ago!

Charmed, Terri - Memories like those are so wonderful. When I was a teenager, my aunts (dad's family) and grandmother (mom's side) would come over and we would spend afternoons prepping veggies or fruit and canning, making jams etc. They were as much 'gatherings' or 'parties' as a work day. We always had a lot of fun and a pile of foods for Winter.

I hope to try a grape leaf pickle this week. Our cukes are producing plenty....just have to work it into my schedule. Wild Blackberry jam first though - one of the neighbors is doing the picking, then coming here for a jam making lesson on Monday afternoon. We plan to make 2 -3 batches and split the goodies.
smile.png

I used the grape leaves in some pickles I put up this past Sat. Since they're dills, I like to let them sit a couple weeks before opening. Will let ya'll know how crispy they are when we do!

Yum, wild blackberry jam---sounds wonderful! My boss just asked me if I wanted some wild plums to make jelly -- you betcha!!!! so that's my canning project for this coming Sat.!

edit to add; we have these native wild plum trees down here, they are not much bigger than cherries & VERY tart -- they make a fantastic jelly!

Last edited:
Let us know how yours turn out!

Terri - we have wild plums too. I've been gathering them and juicing them in my steam juicer for a couple weeks. They do make an excellent tart jelly. I like to use it in jelly rolls or surprise muffins with a little jelly filling. I finished one batch of the jelly so far and have been freezing the additional juice for processing later.

DH & I flagged several small sapplings under our trees this Spring. We're going to move those, start another grouping of them and do some pruning, etc for the established trees.

I may get to Grape Leaf pickles late in the week. but *sigh* so much to do! It could end up being the weekend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom