LG against a Luminaire and a sportsman (UPDATE)(update 4-24-09)

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
I put money where my mouth should be. While sampling some of the finer hops, I over heard 2 gentlemen knocking the LG and bragging about how great thier incubators are. Neither of them have ever had a 50% hatch rate. Yet, they are down grading the LG. As most there know, I use a LOT of LG's, so I maded them a little bet. They can and collect 3 dozen eggs for each bator.
Incubate them and see who has the best hatch rate. So, is it the LG against the big boys or is it the operators against one another. If they get less than 50% each, I will hatch more chicks than both of them. Out of the last 324 eggs I set, 307 hatched. Of those 17 eggs, only one was fertile. At the end of this 21 days, looks like I can get a few more BCM trios. I better not count those chicks before they hatch. This all starts next Friday, so on the 24 of next month we will know.

Last edited:
its kinda a combination of both... great machines work better with competant operators. ive always heard that "tools are only as good as the mechanic" and the mechanic that can fix something specialized with minimal tools is just that much better

The eggs were collected and placed in the bators
at noon today. We will see who wins this contest. Neither of these people have ever had a 50% and 80% is a bad hatch rate for me. Not only will this contest get me a few more BCM's, the DW might get some new furniture for the new house. Still, I don't want to count my eggs before they hatch. They want to candle on day 7 and 14, which I won't do. When I take out the turner I will candle, then hope for the best on day 21. I will keep you posted.

If you cant above a 50% hatch rate in a correctly working sportsman then your doing something bad wrong
gig.gif
or you got a lazy, impotent rooster..

Last edited:
Great bet!!! I would do the same thing in a heart beat. There's people that down LG's, but I love mine. Usually it is the mechanic that's at fault. Give it hell!!!!
fl.gif

panner,

Good luck! I'm right down the road from you in Auburn, did all the eggs come from the same chickens? What kind? I'll subscribe to this so I can get the update!

Nancy

Its also highly environmental. Your incubator may be in a very humid area, while theirs may be in a very dry area. Hatch rates will vary from room to room in a house, and even more so from geographical location to the next.

All the eggs came from RIR, Barred Rock, Cochins and mutts. And they are from my grand daughters chickens. No one can say anyhting about the room temperture or humidity
being different, for all the bators are in a local school class room. The only differance is that I will not see or touch my bator for 18 days. The other bators will be looked at every day, adjustments made to the temp and humidity and the eggs will be candled on days 7 & 14. These gentleman have NO BUSINESS ever trying to hatch eggs. 1 even wants the teacher to open the school so he can make adjustment to the temp & humidity over the week end. When we (I) left today all the temps were correct, but they wanted their humidity at 75%, mine was setting at 38%. Their humidity is mistake #1 and a deadly one. I hope for the sake of the chicks they get lucky and we all hatch the same number of chicks. (Very unlikely)

hey panner my money is on you.. I just had a 99% hatch rate and half of those were shipped eggs. You and I are of the same minds when it comes to not touching and humidity. I Have two LGS a hovabator and a sportsman and I get the same hatch rate no matter which I use which all four are usually filled. A lot of people have probs with the LG but I never have . Go panner Go

Back
Top Bottom