LG humidity issue possibly solved.

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
We have a LG (along with all the 1588's) and I have noticed since we started coming here a lot of people (including us) have had issues with humidity. Not being able to get it up high enough or to stay around 70-75% for hatches.

Thinking about this for a few days now and came up with this idea.

I took tape and taped the holes in the bottom. Then I put the entire bottom pan into a 13 gallon trash bag, fit perfect. (so no leaking would occur and if it did it would stay in bag and not on table.)

Then I put water in it. Was able to fill more area, creating more surface area.
So far our humidity has been running VERY steady at 70%-76%, temp running around 100 +/- 1.

I maybe should have started with a less amount of water, (easier to add than take away, of corse) but thought "I'm getting this humidity up if it kills me!" was on a roll!
And kept putting water in. LOL!

(I also tried to put aluminium foil over the center section to cover some area because humidity kept rising and our windows were getting fogged.) So I'll take some water out w/ a baster.

I am very happy with this so far.
Think it may be an answer for everyone with this type of incubator.
Not to mention it allows for full use of the tray to put eggs in versus having socks and bowls of water taking up half of the space.
We're getting ready to put eggs in it and see how it does holding over the last 3 days.

I also have BOTH vents on top out and its still holding humidity.

I was so excited I had to share!
Hope it works and helps with this continued problem!

Take care all,
Angela

You really don't need the humidity over 70% for hatching. Mine stays between 65 and 70 all the time. Also, after you get that up, did you remove that tape? The eggs need oxygen more than humidity, even at hatch time; especially at hatch time.

Hi,
Most of the problems I read about humidity consisted of people not being able to get it much over 50% if that much in the LG brand.
The only holes I taped were the 4 in the bottom tray. (to prevent leakage) The rest on top are still open and there are 2 vent plugs you can remove also on top.

I am going to remove some water, as mentioned, to get it down closer to 68%-70%, but even getting that in an LG still air seems to be amazing.

I have rarely read of humidity problems with any other type/brand other than the LG and I think this is a definate way to help people with those issues.

Hope it helps some people who have been having these same issues with this type of bator over and over again.
As mentioned I think it sure beats having bowls of water and socks in there to try to get it up and taking up so much space.

Thanks,
Take care,
Angela

P.s.
I noticed in the 1588's design it is more rounded on the corners of the bottom tray, the vent holes on it are located higher up on the sides and that allows for having that tray in the bottom with more surface area to add water.
I think that may be the LG's major design flaw, having those holes located right in the bottom, reduces the ability to add surface area for humidity.
Also, why have the holes on the bottom, there can be no, or little air movement when its like that, unless you set it up on little blocks or something. It'd be like opening a window and then putting something solid in front of it. Yea, windows there but, the solid piece in front doesn't allow for air movement. A table would do the same blocking the holes. I think a useless design.

Any-hooo,
Hope it helps someone.

Last edited:
I know the LG is quite a challenge in more ways than one. I think if you can get that humidity up in the first place, then keeping it up is easier. Just remember that oxygen plays a part, too, is all I was trying to say. Seems you may have found a solution to the humidity issue with the LG; now if the thermostat regulation issue could be worked out, there would be better hatches. I always hate to see people lose chicks with their LGs, but the still air bators are the most affordable, certainly.

Edited to add: I wonder if enough people wrote into the manufacturer, Miller, and asked for a design change, if they would see that it was called for?

Last edited:
I wish you would have mentioned this two days ago.
lol.png

Says she who sits with a glass of water and two socks taking up half the room in there.

Hi,
I agree maybe we could write them and at least give a suggestion. Couldn't hurt. I think they loose a lot of potential customers because people hear the stories and questions on holding humidity. So many people love the Hova-bators and reccomend them the makers of LG might want to look at reasons why.

I at least know I am doing it, (the bag thing). I brainstormed and tried different things all week. (Ended up with a wet towel under the incubator a couple times, lol!)

I was/am very happy to see this design worked and has seemed to hold that humidity up at 70+, no problem.

Front Porch: Hey if I'd have thought of it earlier and tested to make sure it would hold I def. would have posted,
wink.png

I know i have fought it for a month and a half at hatch time and was tired of it. Even went and bought 2 new 1588's w/turners because I hated the LG humidity issue.
But we have so many eggs I needed another one and decided to try to make it work somehow.
We now have 26 eggs in there (with room for a few more too, and that's probably 15 more than I would have gotten in there with all the socks n stuff
lau.gif
so I'm happy!) at day 19 today, so we'll see how it holds up to the "real test"

I'll keep it posted, how its doing, and hopefully it will do well and maybe be something to help others with LG models.

Take care,
Angela

Back
Top Bottom