lg still air gurus.... need help....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BellLisamo, Mar 4, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Ok i have 2 extra water trays one with a sponge and the bottom wells are filled. HOW THE HECK can i only be getting 67% humidity! I need to be at 85% fo ducks right!??!?!

Help me!!!!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Are there any plugs on top you can or have to plug in? Have you tried another humidity measuring device? Maybe the first is off. Is there codensation on the window?

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:i have both plugs in to keep the humidity, i dont have another one, but it should still give me a round a bout reading right?

there is a good amount of condensation on the windows. right now humidity is at 64%.

Am i gonna lose these babies!?!?!??! i candled them 2 days ago and all had veins and a heartbeat

do i need to put another sponge in the other water tray? i only have one sponge. water wells are completely filled in the bottom

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:i have both plugs in to keep the humidity, i dont have another one, but it should still give me a round a bout reading right?

there is a good amount of condensation on the windows. right now humidity is at 64%.

Am i gonna lose these babies!?!?!??! i candled them 2 days ago and all had veins and a heartbeat

do i need to put another sponge in the other water tray? i only have one sponge. water wells are completely filled in the bottom

if it is busted there wont be a accurate reading. I had a thermometer that read 42 F in the bator one night. THat is obviously not possible in the house when it is 70F. How far are they along? I bet your humidity is higher.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sounds like a bad humidity gauge. If the glass has condensation on it your humidity should be close to its max(100%). At least in the 80+%.

6. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I agree-- your hygrometer is probably off... If you have condensation you have a lot of humidity!

7. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    I agree....I think you should get another humidity gauge and check it. Condensation occurs when warm air is at it's saturation level and the air can hold no more moisture. Water droplets then start to form on various surface. I don't know right off the top of my head what the saturation level would be at 99.5F, but you can find out easy enough, and that would give you your humidity level.

Dan

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ

if it is busted there wont be a accurate reading. I had a thermometer that read 42 F in the bator one night. THat is obviously not possible in the house when it is 70F. How far are they along? I bet your humidity is higher.

how can it be busted? i just bought it! ugh!! this sucks.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Room temp effects when condensation happens. If the incubator an the room was the same temp condensation would happen when the humidity reached 100% relative humidity. But being in a room that is say 70 to 75 degrees cools the glass on the incubator. The glass in turn cools the air in the incubator closest to it. As the air cools it loses the ability to hold as much water an it deposits it on the glass. The majority of the air in the incubator may be at 99.5 degrees an 80% relative humidity but the air right at the glass is something like 80 degrees an 100% relative humidity.

I'm sure that's clear as pea soup.

10. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I have a still air and in my dry climate I have to put 4 sponges and a bowl in mine to get the humidity up. I keep mine in my bathroom and turn on the hot shower and close the door during the hatch to help up it once in awhile too.

Good luck!

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by