LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Pics
While there will be aspects of being LGBT I won't be able to identify with....I certainly cannot and will not stand in judgement of others for any reason.

It is not who I am....A judger I mean.

Personally I commend the bravery to step forward and say "this is who I am".

The thing I really like about BYC is the supportive people. It is far greater to support people in life and in their struggles than to drag them down.

While there will be aspects of being LGBT I won't be able to identify with....I certainly cannot and will not stand in judgement of others for any reason.

It is not who I am....A judger I mean.

Personally I commend the bravery to step forward and say "this is who I am".

The thing I really like about BYC is the supportive people. It is far greater to support people in life and in their struggles than to drag them down.

That’s definitely true. BYC has a good community when it comes down to it.

Hi! From Portland! :bun I just started raising chickens this year. We have a super LGTBQ friendly farm supply store in Portland (Naomi's ) but they don't carry everything. I went to Coastal Farm Supply for the first time a couple of months ago and it felt like entering another world. I usually have to tamp down the "high alert" feeling that rises up in me when I go.

I hope that everyone can find what they need on this site. When it comes to biased thinking, I am 100% against people (ANY PEOPLE) who don't treat animals with respect and care.

You're here, so you're already on track to doing right by your flock. If your flock loves you and thinks no differently of you for who you are, well then I can't see my way clear to judge you.

And as for all of those grand religious dogmas and practices, I guess we'll all see at the end as we stand before The Throne of Judgement. I may not know the answers to a lot of questions, but He does. When He looks at my life, I do NOT want to hear Him ask "why didn't you take that opportunity to make someone else feel welcome, or extend kind words when you could? Why did you not use the free gifts that I gave you to help your fellow man/woman/child/senior citizen/animal??"

Despite all of the $ that I could donate or the gifts that I could buy, if I cannot spare that which costs me nothing... and WAS freely & abundantly given...what do I really gain?

I don't have to change my belief system, it just so happens that I believe that you can tell the tree by its fruit. My tree has lots of flowers & love (except for chicken predators), lots of uncertainty, and frankly blooms chicken treats. Thank heavens for my little chickens & all of yours, too!

Thank you for your wonderful, calm explanation. I totally feel what you’re saying about feeling behind in AG. I’m currently going through the college application process, and it’s kind of freaking me out. I want to go to college for AG, but I’m worried about getting discriminated as a gay trans man. So even if I’m younger I relate to what you’re saying.

I went to an Ag college 35 years ago. It was not easy for gays there but I think things have changed a little. (I am not LGBT) Unfortunately part of the change has happened because the school has been enveloped by L.A. sprawl and Ag is being deemphasized. But I think the setting of the school would make a difference.

And good on ya! I think there is nothing wrong with a LGBT chicken keeper thread.

Hi! From Portland! :bun I just started raising chickens this year. We have a super LGTBQ friendly farm supply store in Portland (Naomi's ) but they don't carry everything. I went to Coastal Farm Supply for the first time a couple of months ago and it felt like entering another world. I usually have to tamp down the "high alert" feeling that rises up in me when I go.

That's a good way to put it! It's like having a little switch in the back of your mind labeled "be on your guard". It's nice to turn it off every once in a while lol.

I'm thankfully to a point where I won't lie about who I am. Lying is the WORST in my mind. So if anyone asks, I'll tell 'em who I am! But usually people don't think to ask in the Deep South lol.

Good afternoon. I hesitantly popped into this thread in fear of what it might be, but found myself pleasantly surprised. On that note, I'll say hello, I'm Colt. I've lived in Texas my whole life and had poultry on and off since I was very young in addition to a lot of other pets and livestock. Currently I am breeding Silver-laced English Orpingtons, as well as Recessive White, Chocolate, Blue, Black, Splash, and Lavender. I also have a pair of American Buff Geese and a single Blue Slate turkey. As one of my roommate's has expressed interest in the chickens I will hopefully be getting her a few pairs of Seramas to enjoy once it's warmed up.

I'm currently working at a University in their IT Department and am trying to get up the nerve to begin pursuing my Masters (yes that's plural) degrees, after a dismal first semester. I'm also getting back into breeding exotic finches and small hookbills again after a couple of years without any. The house I'm living in currently has the perfect space for an awesome bird room and I miss working with them.

I am happy each of the people who have posted so far have felt comfortable enough to share a part of themselves that many don't want to see. I am also pleased to see people with enough courtesy to be gracious and accepting of a lifestyle that they may not be as acquainted with.

Good afternoon. I hesitantly popped into this thread in fear of what it might be, but found myself pleasantly surprised. On that note, I'll say hello, I'm Colt. I've lived in Texas my whole life and had poultry on and off since I was very young in addition to a lot of other pets and livestock. Currently I am breeding Silver-laced English Orpingtons, as well as Recessive White, Chocolate, Blue, Black, Splash, and Lavender. I also have a pair of American Buff Geese and a single Blue Slate turkey. As one of my roommate's has expressed interest in the chickens I will hopefully be getting her a few pairs of Seramas to enjoy once it's warmed up.

I'm currently working at a University in their IT Department and am trying to get up the nerve to begin pursuing my Masters (yes that's plural) degrees, after a dismal first semester. I'm also getting back into breeding exotic finches and small hookbills again after a couple of years without any. The house I'm living in currently has the perfect space for an awesome bird room and I miss working with them.

I am happy each of the people who have posted so far have felt comfortable enough to share a part of themselves that many don't want to see. I am also pleased to see people with enough courtesy to be gracious and accepting of a lifestyle that they may not be as acquainted with.

Wow! You sure have your hands full with birds. I breed seramas, and I’m sure your roommate will love them. Good luck with your schooling!

Back
Top Bottom