LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

am just going to ask why?

why do we need a thread if your gay for keeping chickens?

like does it really matter. not trying to be mean or anything but where all on here because we enjoy raising and keeping chickens.

As gay people we often encounter discrimination that other people don’t experience. It makes it easier to relate to each other about our experiences.

I am. Nice to meet you! Me and my lil family, husband and toddler, live in TX and I have horses and chickens. Anywhere from 30-100 at a time, but that’s mostly to raise meat birds. I have about 25 layers. We are actually going to expand our meat bird side just a little bit to officially raise meat for our family and friends that want to pay us for it.

like does it really matter. not trying to be mean or anything but where all on here because we enjoy raising and keeping chickens.
There is just all kinds of reasons why people find commonality amongst each other. If it were just as simple as being a chicken keeper, there would only need to be one forum.

there are countless threads that discuss husbands, spouses, etc., and because we live in a heteronormative culture, you don’t see those as advertising a sex preference, but that’s exactly what they are doing. You just don’t notice because it’s an ingrained perspective in our society. No one pops on those to ask why sexual preference is being advertised or why anyone needs to know the OP is straight...

Interestingly, and back on topic, my entire chicken keeping journey, especially my meat bird journey, has been an attempt to reclaim a path of my life I tried to have from a young age. Unfortunately, because I felt stigma and pressures and did not feel like I appropriately fit in with the Ag crowd growing up, I’m 20 years behind where I should be. Maybe that’s better said as where I “could” be, because it’s important to be grateful for our journeys wherever they lead.

Are there any other LGBT folks on this site? I tried to make a thread a few years ago but it got removed. I think it would be cool to have a little community on here!

Why? Surely you are just a keeper of chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese. quail or whatever animal you wish to discuss here yours or mine sexual preference should have no bearing on that fact!

I am. Nice to meet you! Me and my lil family, husband and toddler, live in TX and I have horses and chickens. Anywhere from 30-100 at a time, but that’s mostly to raise meat birds. I have about 25 layers. We are actually going to expand our meat bird side just a little bit to officially raise meat for our family and friends that want to pay us for it.

There is just all kinds of reasons why people find commonality amongst each other. If it were just as simple as being a chicken keeper, there would only need to be one forum.

there are countless threads that discuss husbands, spouses, etc., and because we live in a heteronormative culture, you don’t see those as advertising a sex preference, but that’s exactly what they are doing. You just don’t notice because it’s an ingrained perspective in our society. No one pops on those to ask why sexual preference is being advertised or why anyone needs to know the OP is straight...

Interestingly, and back on topic, my entire chicken keeping journey, especially my meat bird journey, has been an attempt to reclaim a path of my life I tried to have from a young age. Unfortunately, because I felt stigma and pressures and did not feel like I appropriately fit in with the Ag crowd growing up, I’m 20 years behind where I should be. Maybe that’s better said as where I “could” be, because it’s important to be grateful for our journeys wherever they lead.

Thank you for your wonderful, calm explanation. I totally feel what you’re saying about feeling behind in AG. I’m currently going through the college application process, and it’s kind of freaking me out. I want to go to college for AG, but I’m worried about getting discriminated as a gay trans man. So even if I’m younger I relate to what you’re saying.

Maybe OP is trying to make friends with others that experience the same struggles he/she does.

Why? Surely you are just a keeper of chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese. quail or whatever animal you wish to discuss here yours or mine sexual preference should have no bearing on that fact!
Dude get out of here. Move on out. You're not funny even in the slightest bit.
I thought people on here were normally warm and welcoming to all? I guess not.

Maybe OP is trying to make friends with others that experience the same struggles he/she does.

Dude get out of here. Move on out. You're not funny even in the slightest bit.
I thought people on here were normally warm and welcoming to all? I guess not.

The key here is the ‘normally...’

Honestly though I’m very happy with the change in sentiment from staff. The LGBT thread I tried to post a few years ago for removed before anyone even commented. They removed it on the basis that BYC wasn’t a place for ‘sex ed.’ Not what I was trying to do, and I was probably 15 when I tried to post it.

Im going to ignore those asking why the thread and also anyone saying the things we may discuss shouldn’t be discussed. It’s important for you, for others who land here via google, and for all of us really. If they cared to learn they could read the thread.

My advice is to go for it... all in. Many times in life I’ve held myself back for things in my own head. You don’t want to do that. There are aspects of your life that may be difficult whether or not you follow an Ag path, whether or not you come from a perspective of a gay/trans youth. That can be the same for anyone coming from any situation.

I’ve also realized I could have saved myself heartache by opening dialogue from the beginning. If you want to live your college career “out” you need to go into it out. Call and ask at the schools you are looking at. Talk to the Ag teachers/advisors. Talk to the LGBT outreach folks. Find out exactly what the culture is like instead of assuming. You may be shocked (both that your assumptions were correct and incorrect at times) but you’ll be informed and prepared.

sometimes people are afraid of differences, but overall, the farming and ranching community has been UNQUESTIONABLY supportive of me and my family on a personal, individual level.

Well I'm gonna jump in here despite the kinda not-nice reaction from some people lol.

Hi, I'm Alexis, and I'm bi/nb. I'm interested in this thread because there are some struggles that other LGBT people will understand better and we can commiserate and support each other. It's like threads about chicken keepers in Louisiana. There are some aspects of life that others in that situation will understand better!

I'm a librarian, but from a young age I always wanted to be a farmer. Because of sexism in my family I was heavily discouraged, but as an adult I understand myself better and don't feel pressured to conform to my family's expectations as much.

Honestly chickens are the best choice I've made in my life! I love being involved in the BYC community, and I love spending time with my chickens.

I hope this doesn't change anyone's impression of me.

Well I'm gonna jump in here despite the kinda not-nice reaction from some people lol.

Hi, I'm Alexis, and I'm bi/nb. I'm interested in this thread because there are some struggles that other LGBT people will understand better and we can commiserate and support each other. It's like threads about chicken keepers in Louisiana. There are some aspects of life that others in that situation will understand better!

I'm a librarian, but from a young age I always wanted to be a farmer. Because of sexism in my family I was heavily discouraged, but as an adult I understand myself better and don't feel pressured to conform to my family's expectations as much.

Honestly chickens are the best choice I've made in my life! I love being involved in the BYC community, and I love spending time with my chickens.

I hope this doesn't change anyone's impression of me.

Welcome to the thread! It’s cool to see another trans person on here. I’m sorry your family wasn’t so supportive.

Im going to ignore those asking why the thread and also anyone saying the things we may discuss shouldn’t be discussed. It’s important for you, for others who land here via google, and for all of us really. If they cared to learn they could read the thread.

My advice is to go for it... all in. Many times in life I’ve held myself back for things in my own head. You don’t want to do that. There are aspects of your life that may be difficult whether or not you follow an Ag path, whether or not you come from a perspective of a gay/trans youth. That can be the same for anyone coming from any situation.

I’ve also realized I could have saved myself heartache by opening dialogue from the beginning. If you want to live your college career “out” you need to go into it out. Call and ask at the schools you are looking at. Talk to the Ag teachers/advisors. Talk to the LGBT outreach folks. Find out exactly what the culture is like instead of assuming. You may be shocked (both that your assumptions were correct and incorrect at times) but you’ll be informed and prepared.

sometimes people are afraid of differences, but overall, the farming and ranching community has been UNQUESTIONABLY supportive of me and my family on a personal, individual level.

I really find it interesting how in real life AG folks at shows and otherwise have been very supportive, but online there are people who attack. They all come out of the woodworks I guess. I’m not sure if I want to go to college as being openly trans, especially since I will be starting Hormone Therapy in February and might have the option of going stealth.

Back
Top Bottom