LGD Help

LazyDuck

Hatching
May 20, 2015
My wife and I are new to raising any kind of livestock. We bought a mini farm in November and moved here from the big city.

I already had 2 Great Pyreneese dogs as pets and already knew they aren't livestock dogs, as they both like to hunt. So, when we bought our chickens and goats, we also got a third GP puppy to be an LGD.

The problem is this: our puppy has now attacked two of the chickens. Also, we have ducks on the property and one of the ducks has been sitting on a nest for almost a month, with over a dozen eggs. This morning I went out to feed the chickens and the puppy, and found the duck dead with all the eggs scattered around the barnyard, broken open.

I guess what I'm asking is, what do I need to do to train this puppy? Since she's already killing fowl, is it too late for her?

I have a Great Pyrenees who watches my chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, etc. He is a good boy with them but he had to be trained to understand they were not toys to play with. Just because a dog's parents were good guardians with poultry doesn't mean their pups will be. I see so many dogs on Craig's List that say "not good with chickens". I guess alot of people just think you put them with the chickens and they know what to do.

We have Louis trained specifically for hawks, but he also goes after Charlie(foxes), neighbors dogs, cats, etc., that we have had issues with. He knows the word "hawk" and also watches the sky as we have a severe hawk issue. My neighbor said he barks at nothing but like I told him, the dogs over the ridge watch sheep and goats, not chickens. Their job is different. I have not lost a chicken to a hawk since Louis has been on patrol. He does an excellent job. And his parents were trained only for goats. He is pictured in my avatar.

An excellent site for information on these guys is: http://greatpyr.com/

Their forum is full of all kinds of excellent training information. We never owned one of these guys until 2 years ago and our Louis would not be the good dog he is today without their help and knowledge of the breed. Best of luck in training your new puppy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom