LGD Owners - Would you be concerned if...

GPs are designed for cold weather...I think you are doing the right thing by allowing him to properly acclimate to his winter environment. I've always kept the dogs outdoors and the extra hay in their boxes is a good idea. I also keep extra hay and cedar chip piles in other areas of shelter so they have a dry place on which to lay during the day. GPs seem to spend a lot of time lying down!
tongue.png

It would have to get awful cold for my dogs to worry about it. Now heat on the other hand- we make sure they keep well hydrated with cool fresh water in the summer. It often gets plenty hot here 100 degrees plus sometimes. There is always plenty of shade and we try to keep their coats well groomed to rid them of excess hair.

Quote:
That's a good point about the excess hair. We are considering having Max's hair clipped really short for the Summer. Does anyone else do that with their LGDs?

Quote:
That question is one of the biggest reasons I chose Anatolians over Pyrs, even though getting a pyr would have been SO much easier (no Anatolians to be found locally). You may need to shave his belly in the summer so he can cool himself down better by laying on the cool earth. Don't shave him overall though.....the double coat he has will actually insulate him against the heat and sun better than a shaved coat will.

I got my Anatolians when they were 3 months old and they are 7 months old now. I have seen then in them in their dog houses maybe 6 times total. They have MUCH less coat than Max has but they seem really tolerant to the cold. They sleep outside, curled up in the middle of the field most nights. I have found them in the morning with frost on their backs. They even sleep and play outside in the rain! The actually are more energetic and playful when it's raining....I see them out there running and playing like crazy in the pouring-down rain. These LGD breeds are not like many other breeds....they are primitive and rugged in spite of their cuddly appearance. So make sure Max has a warm dry house to sleep in if he wants, but don't be too shocked if he doesn't use it as he gets older.

Quote:
That question is one of the biggest reasons I chose Anatolians over Pyrs, even though getting a pyr would have been SO much easier (no Anatolians to be found locally). You may need to shave his belly in the summer so he can cool himself down better by laying on the cool earth. Don't shave him overall though.....the double coat he has will actually insulate him against the heat and sun better than a shaved coat will.

I got my Anatolians when they were 3 months old and they are 7 months old now. I have seen then in them in their dog houses maybe 6 times total. They have MUCH less coat than Max has but they seem really tolerant to the cold. They sleep outside, curled up in the middle of the field most nights. I have found them in the morning with frost on their backs. They even sleep and play outside in the rain! The actually are more energetic and playful when it's raining....I see them out there running and playing like crazy in the pouring-down rain. These LGD breeds are not like many other breeds....they are primitive and rugged in spite of their cuddly appearance. So make sure Max has a warm dry house to sleep in if he wants, but don't be too shocked if he doesn't use it as he gets older.

Thanks carolinagirl58! You guys are so comforting and knowledgable!

It's unthinkable for me that a dog could be comfortable in 25 degree or colder temperatures, but I'm a naked-skinned human after all.
wink.png
As I lay in bed this morning under my down comforter, I was soooo warm. But I was sure enough glad DH had lit the fire in the wood stove when I got up.
tongue.png
Well, Max wears his down comforter. I guess I can think of it like that.

Max is part of the family and we love him like a child. I want him to have all the comforts of home, without being over-protective and ruining his real purpose and mission in life. I think we're ok so far. This morning, he gave a stray cat the dickens with his warning bark. The girls are learning to 'read' his bark. When he's just mildly irritated (say, a squirrel), they will stand tall and pay attention. But when he really goes off like he did this morning, they all run for the coop!

It's working.
smile.png

Your guys are really smart and boy, are they ever handsome too! I wish DH would go for a pair, but that's not happening.

Last edited:
Thanks. I adore my dogs. I often go out and just sit in the pasture and love on 'em. They are both so sweet and SO calm....not like regular dogs at all. Most 7 month old pups bounce all over you but these guys don't. If I sit on the ground, they both come over and lay next to me. Usually they drape their front legs across my legs. Isaac usually buries his big 'ol head in my lap for some serious ear rubbing. Isaac is a great ambassador for this breed. Whenever I take him anywhere, everyone has to pet him. He loves going to Tractor Supply and the farmer's market. He got weighed at the vet saturday.....that boy is at 85 pounds now and just turned 7 months old. He is going to be a VERY big dog. He is a fantastic watch dog too, especially at night. He barks at strange sounds, but quickly quiets down as soon as he realizes it's nothing. If it really IS something worth barking at, his barks turn frantic and much louder. I know if I was creeping around at night and I was faced with those barks, I'd sure leave in a hurry. Eli is just as watchful, but does not bark at all. He is more of a home-body too. He does not like new things or riding in the car. His temperment is much more typical of a LGD breed than Isaac's is.

Quote:
Now that's just too funny. We love taking Max to Tractor Supply too - and everyone has to pet him too! We were just there yesterday, matter of fact. Do you suppose we're sick? Max is even going to be in our Christmas pics.
roll.png
A whole community of wackos....

If I had known how much fun chickens and LGDs were, I would have had them years ago!
tongue2.gif

Quote:
I agree. It is actually worse for him to be taken inside and then put back outside. His body can't really get used to the weather that way. He'll grow a nice, fluffy coat in cold weather. Last year we had 8" of snow on the ground (unusual weather for us) and ours were playing in it, panting, and with ice hanging off of their coats and faces. They were just as happy as can be.

Quote:
Oh, me too!! I love this breed. I actually got sheep because I wanted Anatolians!! Isn't that nuts? It all started because I wanted a new watch dog. Not really a guard dog but an outside dog who would keep an eye on the place and be hardy and tough and great with kids. And one that would not raise questions with my homeowners insurance company. I always wanted a giant breed too. I have had big dogs (rotties) but I wanted a HUGE dog. Anatolian Shepherds fit the bill in every way possible! The more I researched them, the more I realized I really needed livestock too. It somehow didn't seem right to have this primitive LGD breed and NOT have stock. Plus I figured the sheep would keep my pastures mowed. Well, thousands of dollars worth of fencing later (and still more to fence) I have my sheep AND my beloved dogs. If I got rid of the sheep today, the dogs would stay. They will be with me until they die of old age, livestock or not. I realize that many die-hard ranchers and farmers with LDG probably just shake their heads because of how I treat these dogs because for for many people, these dogs are just farm tools....like a tractor. But they have become part of my family. I do not subscribe to the notion that these dogs must be left alone and not bonded with humans. I know of WAY too many of them that are fully bonded with their humans and still do an awesome job at LGD duty. I don't have thousands of acres. I only have 25 acres (but only half of that in various pastures) so if these dogs just keep strays away and notify me if there is a problem they can't handle, I'll be thrilled. So far, they are doing an excellent job with that.

Back
Top Bottom