LGD's

P-Funk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Franktown
Thank you all for the support regarding a dog to help protect my birds. I was at the vet yesterday and it turns out he breeds and trains Rat Terriers for that very reason. I explained I'd heard Great Pyrenees and German Shepards were the best (not mentioning you, of course). After about 20 minutes we had a date for him to bring a 7 week old to the ranch next weekend. It's father is 50 lbs and "will take on an entire pack of foxes". Nothing is set in stone, it depends how the meeting goes. I'm just curious if you have any experience with these dogs, as I've never owned one smaller than 90 lbs. They can't possibly the perfect dog, can they
hu.gif

Last edited:
Sorry, folks. I didn't realize the 'what is a good breed of dog' post was still out there. Aren't you glad I'm back
duc.gif

Has to be a typo error about a Rat Terrier that weighs in at 50 lbs! I 've had several over the years and the largest may have tipped the scales at 15 lbs. They are sharp little(?) dogs and may be trainable for guard duty. I had one that just "went off" and killed my entire flock of ducks. I do use a Great Pyr. as protection for my sheep and goats and he doesn't give my chickens and ducks any hassle at all. Good luck with your dog!

No, he really said 50 lb Rat Terrier. "These aren't the dogs you're probably thinking of" were his words. Personally I don't care for little yippy dogs, which spawned his comment. He IS a vet, and I live right between his office and his home, but we'll see what happens when the family comes over. The GP is still 1st runner up, or the GSD. Thanks for the good luck wish...

Google Livestock guard dog and there is plenty of info on which breeds are best for this. We have a Maremma LGD. LGD's have different requirements and temperments compared to other dogs.

No, he really said 50 lb Rat Terrier.

Terriers were bred to kill, not protect.

The fact that he's a "Vet" doesn't mean he has good common sense.

After about 20 minutes we had a date for him to bring a 7 week old to the ranch next weekend.

In some places it's illegal to sell a pup younger than 8 weeks

But, hey, it's YOUR chickens​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom