liability for bad eggs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by lalyswishytail, Feb 5, 2009.

1. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    I hope I'm putting this message in the right section.

Anyways, I was just wondering if I needed to be concerned about people complaining that they got sick from one of my eggs. Because I'm selling the eggs from the same place they are laid, I do not need any kind of permit or license to sell them in Illinois. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I will only have 6 chickens.

Thanks.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Here it has to be proven that they got sick from the egg. Anyone can buy an egg, then get sick from the bacon, and blame the egg, or you have crooked ones that will do anything to sue you. Check and see if you have any protection through your County or if you need insurance, which I doubt. It's pretty hard to prove an egg made you sick unless they pump your stomach and it's the only thing in it! Which is what happened to me when I got food poisoning at a restaurant.

3. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    They need either a stomach culture or a fecal swap to file anything against you. Chances are good they got the poisoning somewhere else, unless that single egg was the only thing they ate in 48 hours [​IMG]

Sorry you've got a jerk to deal with.
    -Spooky

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    You could copy one of the "safe handling and cooking instructions" labels that are on commercial products and paste it on your cartons. That might afford some protection since the assumption would then be that the buyer had failed to properly handle the item or had not cooked it thoroughly.

Really the only worry from eggs, to my knowledge, is salmonella, which is very uncommon in backyard flocks.

You could have your eggs or birds tested for it to relieve your concerns and so that you could show worried customers the negative test results. If you have a state lab that does necropsy testing on livestock, they should be able to test blood samples or even eggs for salmonella for you.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by