1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Libraries aren't quiet places anymore?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NRacine, Jan 9, 2010.

1. NRacine

NRacine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    I went to my local library today. I've only been going there for about a month and a half. Today it was so loud I had a hard time even reading through the book covers to choose one. There was a girl talking really loudly on her cell phone, the kid re-shelving books had a friend following him around talking loudly about sexting (and I won't even tell you what else), and groups of little kids running around being loud and squealing. It was so distracting, and I felt it was also rude and disrespectful. I told the lady at the desk and she informed me that libraries no longer have to be quiet places.

Does this seem weird to anyone else? She told me where the quiet rooms are, but that doesn't help me when I'm walking around trying to choose books. Unless I take a stack of 50 in there just so I can read the covers in peace.

I might just start going to the bookmobile and skip the library all together. It's good that kids are going to the library, but it felt like they had free reign of the place and no manners whatsoever.

Ugh, if I'm this old and crabby at 28, stay far away when I'm 70!

2. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    I agree with you! They used to be an oasis of peace and quiet.

3. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    That is a shame, our is still a quiet place. Is there another one close by that you can try?

4. NRacine

NRacine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    There's one I could try in the next town over, but I never go there for anything else. I could try one in the city where I work, but then I'd have to go during the week after work instead of on the weekend when I'm running other errands.

We have inter-library loan throughout the entire county, and that includes the bookmobile which stops a mile from my house on Saturday mornings. That would be ideal if I could figure out a good way to search books from home

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Ours is still quiet and cell phones are not allowed. The children's area is on one side of the library and it's pretty noisy over there, but those are preschool kids. I answered a phone call in the library once - intending to get off the phone very quickly - my phone was on vibrate and I was whispering very quietly, but within a minute I was approached by a member of the staff and asked to end the call or take it outside.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Our Libraries are still reasonably quiet. The one that is blocks from me has a teen loft area and occasionally you can here giggles from up there - but for the most part the librarians don't tolerate loud destractions. The main library downtown has banks of computers and study rooms if you want lots of quiet. I don't like i though because when they built it about 5 years ago they went with an ultra modern design and the floor is metal covered in carpet so it sounds echoey(made up word) when you walk upstairs.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Thats because your on thier list(you know the one)and are pegged as a troublemaker as soon as you walk through the door.

Have you tried searching the Libraries books online, ours you can search read descriptions, then put on hold. Then all you have to do is walk in and show them your card. They pull the books/dvd etc that you put on hold.

I think the problem with lots of libraries is they have become the Teen hangout, or the Babysitter for young adults that want to get away from thier kids Ruining the older adults place to go enjoy some peace and quiet. [​IMG]

8. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Maybe you could stand up and scream, "Shut up, I'm trying to study."[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I'm a librarian at an elementary school library. I make the kids be quiet when they're in the library. They lose privileges if they're not.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:they she'd be kicked out for yelling.. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by