1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lice and egg laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Penton, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Penton

Penton Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    How do chickens get lice and what would I look for? They make their own ground pits for dust baths daily, however, I have noticed them to do what looks like preening themselves. Never thought much of it till I read the help request from lice in one of the threads. After looking at all the emergencies threads, I started thinking of EVERYTHING that could go wrong. And my chickens are about six months old I was told and they haven't laid an egg yet. This doesn't seem right. Anything I should be doing?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens can get lice from other chickens, other birds (like wild birds, for example birds flying over their coop, landing in their run, etc), and their surroundings. Mites are more common than lice. Often times, when a chicken has lice, you'll only see the eggs. They don't leave the black crusty material that mites do. The eggs will appear as whitish lumps around the base of feathers. You may also see the mites themselves, which appear as yellowish-tan, rather oval, tiny moving creatures.

Six months is an age when many chickens will be laying, but it often takes much longer for hens to start laying. It depends on the breed (egg type birds like Leghorns will start laying before more ornamental breeds, like Phoenix) and on the specific bird, as well as enviromental conditions.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by