Lice and losing feathers

Lathira

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Help... golden wyandott’s bestie is chewing off her feathers, at least I think it’s her. ( She is a very nervous girl and I thought she would grow out of it.)

All winter “plucky” has had only down on her body. i bought a saddle to protect her back, but havent used it as I am not home during the day and worry she will get it caught on something. Discovered lice on the bully and found them on “plucky” too. (My old girl was 13 when she passed, and have had these two only 6 months - never had lice in coop before and just have 3 girls total)

I cleaned all bedding which was alfalfa. Put down chopped straw, DE, bathed the girls in lavender and oregano oil infused water, then repeated the bath a week later. I bought a chicken spray to help with their bugs along with nest herbs, too.

tonight “plucky” has virtually no feathers on her back - can I put a saddle on even with lice problem? Should I??

they had wood ash and DE for bathing in all winter but they never Used it. Now they have a big canning pot with sand, wood ash and DE, but they don’t use it either. They have organic feed, meal worms and sunflower seed treats, so I think their protein is ok... should I get a feather fixer food?
am worried and at a loss....

If she is bare, I personally would have her were a saddle or a childs shirt tailored for a chicken. Without feathers, she can't keep herself warm and could get sunburned.

You are doing the right things to get rid of the lice/mites. How long have they had them?

DE does not work. I always share this easy method when I come across posts like this. I buy the spray for canary lice at the pet store. Spray it under the wings, on the butt, under the neck, back of the neck, tummy. Legs if needed. Works great. Always. I'll post a photo.

113719-Center-1.jpeg

If she is bare, I personally would have her were a saddle or a childs shirt tailored for a chicken. Without feathers, she can't keep herself warm and could get sunburned.

You are doing the right things to get rid of the lice/mites. How long have they had them?
I just found them (lice) Sunday before last - new girls came from huge outdoor farm and I imagine they probably came with them. I quarantined them but never thought to look for lice. They have panel heater at the end of their favorite roost and heat lamp for her.
Will look into the child tee - saddle I put on tonight is really stiff and I worry about her wings. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP - been at such a loss as how to help and not make it worse.

You were so helpful! I think I have the bugs and the bald back under control - bought saddle with the wing covers and she is already grown some new baby feathers!
Thanks again for the advice and help!

Back
Top Bottom