Lice, Ascites - edible?

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Sorry, kind of a harsh thread topic. I just discovered lice in my flock two days ago. I treated the birds with Elector PSP, the coop with Permethrin and DE, nesting boxes with just DE. All seems to be going well with my other hens (tons of nits but I'm hoping they are dead as Elector PSP is supposed to kill them). But I have one hen (a BSL) that still has a lot of lice. When applying the Elector PSP the other night I found that she has an extremely swollen/enlarged abdomen/vent. Very frightening that I didn't see any other symptoms from her (and still don't). After some more reading I am diagnosing Ascites. It feels like her abdomen is filled with fluid, a lot of it. Anyways, I have too many chicken, I guess I'm not very good at chicken math😂. Ive got 13 right now and 9 hatching in 4 days:fl. My family has decided for me that 15 chickens is kind of the maximum. I am planning on selling a few and probably eating a few either if I cant find anyone to take them. So, unfortunately, this BSL has kind of made it on the list. If I wasn't culling already I would absolutely treat her as best as I could. But I'm wondering if I can eat her if I cull her. I question it because of the two health conditions previously mentioned. I feel terrible that I didn't find this sooner, but otherwise she seems totally healthy. Thank you for any opinions. Again, sorry for such a rough topic, but as chicken owners you all know the harsh reality of it. I should also mention she has had kind of a speckled purple on her comb recently, I didn't think anything of it until now. And sorry the pictures aren't great, she was upside down as I was checking my flock for lice again. (also the bald spot)

Attachments

• copper comb.jpg
    copper comb.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 15
  • copper abdomen.jpg
    copper abdomen.jpg
    703.1 KB · Views: 13
Yes. You can eat a chicken that has ascites and live but I wouldnt unless you know for sure that's what she has. Of course it's a personal decision.

Back
Top Bottom