LICE!! How fast does Pemectrin get rid of them?

Wellllll,

Not fast at all! What's happening in your chickens feathers are lice (live)crawling around, reproducing, growing, repeat. So, when you pour the Pemecctrin dust on them, it kills the live ones. But, there are still eggs laid on the feathers that hatch without parents. They just reproduce some more! So what you should do is treat them once, then every week till the problem clears, do it again. (The dust is really an insecticide, so it kills the insects not the eggs)

Although, I have seen people use liquid to kill the eggs and lice at the same time-if you have some of that it might make your life a heck of a lot easier!

Best of luck, mites/lice are my least favorite of all chicken ailments because THEY NEVER GO AWAY!
mad0233.gif

BUT there is some horse wormer that comes in a tube at the feed store... I can find out what it is called..... or maybe someone else knows... PM me if you need me to research it and find out what I used...

I poultry dusted the entire flock one by one... and simultaneously gave them one bb size amount of the strong horse wormer. I also pulled out all the straw in henhouse and nest and burned it....I replaced it with pine shavings.... The dust got rid of the live ones and the horse wormer got rid of the eggs and all other parasites.... inside and out. I had to collect the eggs and refeed them back to the girls for 2 weeks because of the horse wormer, but it was worth it...

Quote:
lol.png
Thanks, Bec. That is Registered Grand Champion Wonder's Dahlu. I took the photo myself. She's a homebred Broken Blue Jersey Wooly. She's posed too high but I love that pic of her anyway because she's looks a little snooty. lol In reality, JWs are pretty laid back and super sweet/friendly - any thing but snooty. Anyway, she's now retired from showing but we keep her line. She's on our business cards for our rabbitry and used to be a covergirl for a pet supply business. We love her.
love.gif

Back to topic......Thank you, thank you for the information on the lice. Luckily, I just cleaned out the roost and nest houses. I'll treat and retreat for a few weeks. I do have the spray concentrate so that's good. I remember actually dipping the birds about a year ago when they had nits and it seemed to be fine on the birds but dried up the knits. I'll use it as a spray for the entire poultry area.

It's a couple weeks until the big show so I'm hopeful the birds will be ready for it. Yay for bug spray.

Back
Top Bottom