Lice Infestation - Lots of Questions

That Raid product also contains a second insecticide that's not approved for poultry in the USA. Here we have FARAD.org, which has lists of approved drugs in the USA. Don't know about Canada. @Ted Brown, do you know. Can you get spinosad?
Mary

That Raid product also contains a second insecticide that's not approved for poultry in the USA. Here we have FARAD.org, which has lists of approved drugs in the USA. Don't know about Canada. @Ted Brown, do you know. Can you get spinosad?
Mary
I think I finally figured it out. In Canada it appears that we use a mix of pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide instead of permethrin.

I'm not sure why that second ingredient is considered safe in Canada and not the US. Seems extremely silly.

Anyway, here's the product I found:

https://ufa.com/myUFA/Yard,-Garden-...om-Poultry-Plus-Aerosol-Lice-Killer/p/1135226

1 TB Cold pressed Neem oil per gallon of water and 1/4 c dish washing liquid in a bucket of warm water . Search & Remove eggs ( look like dirty cotton balls or matted hair) Use scissors where necessary to remove matts (don't cut any blood feathers)Some parasites can't be seen(burrow in the skin) Make sure feathers are wet to the skin when dipped.. After you're done soaking them one by one (10 minutes) Apply coconut oil to their comb & face (don't get any in their eyes,ears or nostrils). Apply Vasoline(petroleum jelly) to their toes & feet & up their legs to their feather line .Place the chickens in a cage to dry before starting on the coop,run & nest boxes. Remove all bedding to be burned later. Toss out the dirty bucket of Neem oil (far away from the coop & run) Make a fresh clean batch for the sprayer. Spray the coop,run & nest boxes. After its dry put out fresh bedding before releasing the chickens.(Treat chickens for anemia if they have symptoms)

Repeat this process every 3-4 days.Remove all bedding in the coop& run & nest boxes each time. Always dip the chickens first so they can bedrying while you're working on the coop,run & nest boxes.

...Here we have FARAD.org, which has lists of approved drugs in the USA. Don't know about Canada. @Ted Brown, do you know. Can you get spinosad?
Mary

I do not have any special knowledge but have not been successful in finding most of the animal care products that folks in the US have easy access to. I have not looked for spinosad as permethrin has worked for me for both lice and mites.

I can go to a vet and get a prescription; for me that makes it price prohibitive. Also prices in Canada tend to be more expensive than in the US. As an example the product from UFA above is $30+ for an aerosol can and that was before shipping the 2000+ kilometres to where I am.

Once a year at least I drive to the Ogdensburg NY Tractor Supply.

I'm not Canadian but this thread has me intrigued.
You guys can't get products for poultry lice easily but do you have to jump through the same hoops when it comes to people lice?
I really hope you don't.
Blows my mind the products are so restricted, that's crazy.

Back
Top Bottom