Lice infestation on failing hen -can Advantage be used?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vonchick, Oct 10, 2013.

1. vonchick

vonchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Madison, Florida
    My Americana bantam hen has been lethargic and without appetite. Upon examination we found her to be loaded with lice. (oddly, we didn't find any lice on any of the other flock members we checked.) I want to provide relief for her as quickly as possible. I've read about using Frontline on chickens, but have Advantage on hand. Does anyone know if Advantage can be used on chickens?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    do you have any sevin dust? i know that cat flea meds can make a big dog sick. she might need some extra iron or protein too.

3. vonchick

Aug 6, 2010
    Madison, Florida
    This is my first run in with lice or mites, so I'm not prepared. I can get Sevin dust at the feed store. At this time the only things she will eat are mealworm beetles (I'm running out!) or brown rice with yogurt.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i bought some thing called rooster booster i gave to mine in the water. just a little bit, not what it calls for . they sell a powder just for chickens and mites. u usually dont see them as they will come out at night, they stay in cracks in the wood so make sure u get enough to do the coop too.

5. vonchick

Aug 6, 2010
    Madison, Florida
    Thank you - I will!

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Giving her a bath with most any liquid dish detergent will kill the mites on her now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by