Lice/Mite problem....

racefanz

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Maine
I have posted many topics to help out my chicken that has been sick for 2 weeks or so. I gave her a warm bath today thinking that it might make her feel better as well as help incase she was egg bound and I just couldn't feel it.
As I was patting her and keeping her comfy, I started pulling back her feathers a little. I noticed some small bugs on her that were crawling.
I'm not sure if they are lice or mites, is there a way to definately tell?
I have read alot of food grade DE and how it helps to prevent lice and mites, but what about to get rid of them? Any suggestions on how to use it as well?

There is a dust made for chickens. It has permethrin in it. I use it ever so often to prevent any trouble. I can not remember which is which with the bugs but it would get both. Gloria Jean

Get some Sevin Dust and dust them with it...just make sure it gets down to the skin. Ivomec also works wonders if they are biting mites/lice.

well my first thought is using 5% sevin from the garden center to put all over her body into the feathers
and lice run mites are generally suck in some kind of whitish crust from their sucking the blood and living there on the bird
matting the birds feathers

I ALWAYS FOUND THAT THE CHICKEN COOP NEEDS CLEANING AS THAT IS WHERE THE BIRD GOT THE LICE OR MITES

AND I USUALLY PUT ON THE FOOT OF THE BIRD if it has scaley leg mites CAMPHOPHNEQE
by pouring it all over the foot
and then standing the bird in a container of Sevin 5% insect dust

this allows the bird to absorb the oil treatment and smother the mites and then kill the mites

it is advisable to put the bird in a pen by himself and keep adding some kind of oil
olive oil, sweet oil, any kind of oil

As for body lice or mites just take the 5% sevin and put liberally all over the body feathers

as for the Chicken Shed
clean every thing out of it
now take
1 qt of new car oil
1 qt of kerosene
and mix good and paint the wooded area's of the barn
paint the roost poles and cracks and knot holes in the wood as that is where the mites live and breed then go to the birds

now sprinkle the DE very liberally and or the sevin 5% all over the floor and then add the beding

this allows the birds to get the sevin on their feet also and into their feathers

I would make a dust box of
1 cup of 5% sevin or 1 cup of DE
2 lb bag of soil
mix good put in a box and set in corner of chicken house
now redo it every week so there is good ant of sevin or De and soil in the dusting box.

any questions email me

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your advise! I hadn't heard alot about the Sevin dust and I oonly know about using it in the garden so I was worried that it would hurt the girls. I will get some today. It is supposed to rain here the next couple of days, should I wait until the rain has passed to treat them? Should I treat them all even if they don't have any lice or mites? Thanks again!
big_smile.png

You need to clean the whole henhouse and dust the roosts and nest boxes. Dust all the birds. Sevin Dust 5% carefully, nothing near their eyes or beaks. Should do this more than once, I'd wait a week and dust them again.

So I just put down a quick dust in the coop since it is raining I couldn't really do a good cleaning. The girls came in and were pecking at it. Is that ok? Can we still eat their eggs?

Quote:
I have been told it's okay to eat the eggs but not the chicken if any of them are for butchering soon. I trust my poultry man. My two cents....

Quote:
This might be a stupid question: i'm using permethrin (0.25%) dust tomorrow to dust my coop and birds. Do i need to use a face mask and gloves and stuff? Is it going to hurt me?

Back
Top Bottom