Lice & Mites at the columbus chicken show?

Quote:
We've been going to the OH National for five years now and never had anything remotely resembling that happen to us. It's our favorite show!

That being said, there is always the chance that your bird may be cooped next to a bird with parasites or (heaven forbid) latent disease.

The best thing to do to prevent parasites is to be sure you have treated your own birds with preventative measures (I don't talk about off-label use of various products in online forums, but if you want tips I'm sure you can find someone who will, and there are some that properly applied will prevent infestation of your birds.)

IRT disease, yes, there's always the chance of your bird getting something. One of the things we do is put clear acetate sheets between our cages and those of other peoples birds. Clear is a must here though, there are rules in the ABA and APA about non-transparent barriers not being allowed, as the judges must be able to look down the aisles and see all the birds in a given class.

You can find clear acetate in a variety of places, we bought ours in a large lot from Blick Art Materials: Yhttp://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-clear-acetate-rolls/

The other thing to do is to quarantine your birds once you get back from a show, which I recommend for at least four weeks afterwards.

But all in all, I think you'd find the Ohio National a wonderful show to attend. And if you go, let me know (we should do a BYC meetup!)

Cheers,

Laura I would love to meet you there. I posted the article on Spiral breeding from you website on tHe Orp club yahoo forum, hope you don't mind as there are a lot of newbies like myself learning how to improve our birds. I put your website on there so others could read your articles which are very helpful

Quote:
I don't mind as long as I get attribution as the author/rewriter person.

big_smile.png

We will be showing several of our Sumatras there this year. It will be our first time there and we are looking forward to being a part of such a large show. Our birds will be listed under my sons name, Logan Hill. Hopefully we will get to meet some of you there.

Back
Top Bottom