Lice & Mites at the columbus chicken show?

goldielocks

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
My husband and i were thinking about going to the Columbus Nationals to see and enjoy all the chickens. A while back i had read on here that you get covered with mites and lice and to make sure you shower a couple of times before you go to see your own flock. Is this really a big concern?

When we went to our local fair we wouldnt go up to see the chickens for fear of taking home lice and mites. Should we even go to the Nationals?

I believe your talking about Ohio Nationals in Columbus Ohio..
http://www.ohionational.org/

I haven't herd any thing like that about Ohio Nationals I know some people and Judges that show there and never herd anything from them about that.. I think that if you get he chance to go then you should go even if it is just to go and look at the birds there I forget the head count on the amount of birds that was there last year but I think it was around 5,000 birds so there is alot to look at...
wink.png

Chris

When you have a gathering of chickens from different places, whether it is a show, a county or state fair, or a chicken swap, there is a chance some of them will have lice, mites, or some disease. You don't always find a lice or mite infection just as it is starting. Some flocks have diseases that they can transmit but the chickens in the flock have developed immunity to so they don't show any symptoms. It is also possible that people visiting the shows and fairs and not exhibiting have diseased chickens at home and they may bring diseases with them on their clothes and especially shoes. Most fairs and shows require certain checks and certification and do what they can, but there are no guarantees. I know someone whose chicken caught fowlpox at a show. He now knows to vaccinate chickens he is taking to a show.

Chicken mites and lice do not live very long on humans. Odds are pretty thin that you would bring them home. It is always possible but they just don't stay on humans that long.

Diseases can be a little different. Some of the diseases can live for quite a while on you or your clothes. It is nothing to panic about or keep you from the show. Just take reasonable precautions. Don't wear the clothes or shoes that you wear around your chickens. You could disinfect your shoes, but I normally wear a different pair when I am out in polite company anyway. If you want to take biosecurity to another level, you can shower before visiting your chickens when you get back.

I'll also remind you that your chickens could carry a disease that they are immune to but that you could transmit to other chickens by visiting the show. Whether or not you practice biosecurity for your own chickens, please show respect and courtesy to those at the show by trying to not bring any diseases with you. I generally find a shower and a change of clothes before I go out in public makes more friends anyway.

If you are paranoid to where you would not enjoy yourself and will probably make others uncomfortable, don't go to the Nationals. But, if you take reasonable precautions, there is nothing other than your fear to stop you from going.

Good luck.

I would absolutley encourage you to go to Ohio Nationals or any other show for that matter. Most people go through a lot of time and work getting their birds ready for a big show like that making sure they have no bugs. It's acutally posted in the show rules no lousey birds allowed, in other words you will be asked to leave if they see you have any bugs. As far as bugs getting on you.....possible but not probable, the lice and mites at live on chickens are "host specific" they will NOT live on you or stay on you for that matter, only chickens. Even if one would to get on your clothes it would not live long, highly doubt you would bring it to your house. If you have birds at the show now that's another story, they CAN carry mites and or lice home to the rest of your flock. I just check mine when I get home then check again in a few days just to be sure. Enjoy the show it's a good one, no worries on the bugs:)

Shari

On the registration form it has a place for double coop. What does this mean? I have never had that on a entry form before.

Double cooping is required, or at least should be, for some of the largest birds. One of the dividers between cages is removes, so the bird is in a cage that is twice as large.

Double cooping:
Mikaela024.jpg

The cock is standing where the divider should be between the cages. Sonoran has the description down pact, I just wanted to give a visualization.

Thank you. I think I am going to need this. Pictures do a great job of giving you a visual
Wanted to say I hope to meet some of you at the Ohio Nationals. The Lord willing I will be there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom