What would be a good breed for egg laying and showing?

The Duck Yard

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2022
Hi, I am going to be starting FFA next year ( in August 2024) I was wondering what would be a good breed(s) for showing in poultry shows AND have good egg production. This will be my first year and I am very excited! I have owned call ducks for a couple years now and have been showing for two. I am an almost complete beginner with chickens. I have had experience with two Rhode Island Reds(layers, can’t show them). I am in the Klein/Houston, Texas area so they would need to be fairly common/easy to find. If you have any questions I’m glad to answer! Thanks for the help if you can!

Are you more interested in ducks or chickens?
I'd do Welsh harlequin for the ducks and barnvelder for the chickens.
I am a duck lover! But I live in a suburban neighborhood. They have a barn for FFA and u will keep my birds there. Currently I can’t have ducks because there is no water.

Not sure about showing, but our two Bielefelders are so beautiful and by far the most friendly of our flock. They were a total impulse buy on my part.. they lay nice eggs and so enjoy cuddles and scratches. Don’t suppose they have that need in FFA?

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 3
Not sure about showing, but our two Bielefelders are so beautiful and by far the most friendly of our flock. They were a total impulse buy on my part.. they lay nice eggs and so enjoy cuddles and scratches. Don’t suppose they have that need in FFA?
I’m not sure as I haven’t started yet, but I’m sure that those are useful traits. I’ll have to do more research, but thank you!

Is your FFA show a cooped show or are you doing showmanship?

Beginners often do best with a clean leg breed in a solid color. You won't have to worry about foot feathers breaking or losing points on color pattern. Beyond that, it could be any breed you're interested in. Especially if you are doing showmanship, pick a breed that is generally pretty tame so its easy to handle.

Is your FFA show a cooped show or are you doing showmanship?

Beginners often do best with a clean leg breed in a solid color. You won't have to worry about foot feathers breaking or losing points on color pattern. Beyond that, it could be any breed you're interested in. Especially if you are doing showmanship, pick a breed that is generally pretty tame so its easy to handle.
Both, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom