lice, mites or??

ok, here are some threads and info-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=208892
I do both. With Ivermectin, however, you can not eat the eggs for about 10 to 14 days after administering.
If you find just lice or mites on the birds, use the poultry dust. I'd use the Ivermectin if you suspect an internal parasite. If you want a more natural approach, you can use FOOD GRADE (not pool grade) DE. The chickens will dust bathe in it. You can also put a little in their food to keep worms down. I've heard that fly larvae can not live in the poop of animals who are fed food grade DE.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=226143

The definite no-questions way to treat lice and mites is use permethrin dust on the birds or ivermectin in the older birds (see below about using wazine first), and use permethin liquid (goat lice spray - read the label) on the wood, 3' up from the bedding, and in the eyes and cracks and joints of the wood near nest boxes, on roosts, etc.You can worm the next day and get it all done. Give them all yogurt that day. (Put them out of the coop when you're spraying the wood). The permethrin doesn't penetrate them.

Then in 2-4 weeks, you can use ivermectin (5% cattle pour-on, the blue liquid - I buy generic ivermectin) on your adult birds birds to kill blood-taking parasites. You will want to repeat the wazine treatment for the babies at that time. Wazine is meant to be repeated as it only kills adults. In birds not wormed over six months, I would always recommend wazine first anyway as you don't know the parasite load. Too many parasites (larva and adults) dying at once with ivermectin might be too stressful on them, particulary if they've been battling mites.

You can use ivermectin on them at 4 months old. Use the 5% cattle ivermectin pour-on, the blue liquid. PM me for instructions.

Unfortunately, mites are too dangerous to go with organic methods which will not kill them. I would recommend you use it if it worked. The permethrin dust is a chemical version of a dust that was once made out of flower petals. It's very safe, much different than things like sevin dust. Mites will take birds down very very quickly.

And if you use permethrin, dust them thoroughly. Yes the younger birds can withstand it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2717718

Poultry dust is "permethrin" in its active ingredient. (Always read the active ingredient). It used to be made of flowers - ground up petals. But these days it's made chemically into the same chemical. The reason I don't use Sevin is that it's devestating to waterfowl, of which I have a lot. It also kills honeybees (which are already having enough troubles with diseases) and it's just very very long lasting and dreadful. (Unfortunately I used it for years before and had no idea the toll it was taking.)

permethrin comes in dust and sprays. Dust is usually something like "Poultry Dust", "Poultry and Garden dust", "Livestock and poultry lice dust", etc. The active ingredient is the key. If you use it to prevent or kill mites, you can get liquid. Then it's still permethrin (generally under 10% solution) and called "Ectiban EC", or "Goat Lice Spray". I understand you can use some permethrin sprays on the birds too, but I just use the dust.

You can also use Adams Flea and Tick mist on crested birds, incidentally. It's handy for spot-treating heads, too. Roll a papertowel into a tightly pointed cone - spray the cone end well, use to wipe into their "beards" and around their face (tho not by their eyes). You can cover their face with your hand and spray forwards (from behind their head towards their beak) and ruffle that into their neck feathers in a pinch.

looks like alot of good info​

Back
Top Bottom