Lice? Mites? What are these!

Kawkawkaye

Songster
Nov 23, 2017
Kimberley, Western Australia
On several occasions now I’ve spotted a bug of some sort scampering between my hen’s feathers! It’s larger than what I would expect any kind of mite to be - about the length of a fingernail. It was dark coloured. And it was FAST. Zoomed away when I tried to flick it off. I’ve not seen any on my other hens, but the girl in question has impaired eyesight - so possibly I’m thinking she’s been unable to catch it herself, since it is a very grabbable size.

The hen seems untouched - she’s very glossy and feathers all seem healthy. She’s two years old, mixed breed. Living in Australia - weather has been cool and dry lately.

On several occasions now I’ve spotted a bug of some sort scampering between my hen’s feathers! It’s larger than what I would expect any kind of mite to be - about the length of a fingernail. It was dark coloured. And it was FAST. Zoomed away when I tried to flick it off. I’ve not seen any on my other hens, but the girl in question has impaired eyesight - so possibly I’m thinking she’s been unable to catch it herself, since it is a very grabbable size.

The hen seems untouched - she’s very glossy and feathers all seem healthy. She’s two years old, mixed breed. Living in Australia - weather has been cool and dry lately.
Have you done a Google search for poultry lice?

the length of a fingernail? 😲 That's a huuuuuge bug!

I was going to suggest fleas but then read your post again. Some sort of beetle? Sounds too big to be a parasite, so maybe it was just nestling in the warmth?

Can you get photos?

the length of a fingernail? 😲 That's a huuuuuge bug!

I was going to suggest fleas but then read your post again. Some sort of beetle? Sounds too big to be a parasite, so maybe it was just nestling in the warmth?

Can you get photos?
Haha yes, every time I visit her I have my phone now, ready, but no luck yet😂
I think beetle is far off, this thing seemed to be able to scuttle sidewides very nimbly.
I dismissed it the first couple of times too! But I’ve now spotted it several times over the course of weeks, so it seems keen to stick around. Hopefully it’s just freeloading and not doing any damage!

Back
Top Bottom