Lice/Mites??

Fitchook

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Hi Everyone
Today I noticed this on one of my hens Im guessing its lice/mites?? Not sure which one.. Can anyone confirm what exactly it is & how to treat it? Only 1 out of my 4 hens seems to be affected..

Ooh also meant to say that for the last few days I've only been getting 3 eggs a day when I normally get 4 Would this stop her from laying?
Thanks
1f60a.png

Hi Everyone
Today I noticed this on one of my hens Im guessing its lice/mites?? Not sure which one.. Can anyone confirm what exactly it is & how to treat it? Only 1 out of my 4 hens seems to be affected..
Maybe the angle of this pic but is that an egg sack attached to feathers. Maybe lice??

I just went through Red Mite treatment on my hens. I used Poultry and garden dust from tractor supply. I took out the pine shavings in the coop and swept really good. dusted in there with the dust added new pine shavings then closed up the coop.
Next I filled a knee high panty hose with the dust and patted the chicken under the wings and around the vent area with my "powder puff". I would say about 5 gentle taps in each area. I was worried they could be overdosed. After each hen was treated I locked them in the coop (because it had already been treated.
Next I cleaned the run removing all litter, added the dust to the floor and taking the powder puff and gently wiped down all the wood then added clean pine shavings. Coop, run and the girls will be re-treated in 7 days. noticed improvement right away...
I then sprayed around the coop, run and shed close to the coop with sevin dust garden spray that I hooked to my garden hose. That really seemed to help, I just didn't want that spray in the run or use Sevin dust on the hens. Just personal preference. GOOD LUCK!!!!

I believe this would work for Lice too

Thank you :) Im not sure what the white stuff is.. Possibly lots of little eggs but not an egg sack as such
I've treated them all today It definately started working straight away the lice were literally falling off them
Not sure whether or not I should cut that white stuff off? Any ideas??

I found red mites crawling on my nestbox the other nite they come out to feed at nite I went to lock the birds up for the night and shined the flashlight on the nestbox perches and noticed them crawling. time to clean out the coop ant treat with poultry dust.

I don't see why that would hurt anything (cutting it off) If she will let you
gig.gif

But you will have to re treat in 7 days so you will get them either way...

.Doing everything all over again just gets me
somad.gif
SO MUCH WORK!!!!!

I found red mites crawling on my nestbox the other nite they come out to feed at nite I went to lock the birds up for the night and shined the flashlight on the nestbox perches and noticed them crawling. time to clean out the coop ant treat with poultry dust.
Sorry, I have heard they are very hard to get rid of, so far I think has gone good for us. No sign of them. We will treat again wed. The powder puff worked like a charm!!!

question about the SEvin dust...Is this toxic to chickens? It says not to "ingest" what if you dust your chickens with it, and they pick/ingest it???

I have heard different things about Sevin Dust. Some love it and some hate it. I chose to only buy the garden liquid spray you attach to your garden hose and treat the area around the outside of the coop. I was afraid of it being toxic to my hens. I used Poultry and garden dust (Permethrin) for the coop and hens. Seemed to work really good.

Back
Top Bottom