Lice on broody hen day 21 HELP

Asaria1

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have two broody hens on day 21 (although i have not heard or seen any movement from their eggs, so it’ll probably take longer). Yesterday i noticed lice on my broody that has been sitting longer. I want to spray them both with elector psp, but i am worried because they are sitting right now and the babies could come any minute. What procedure would you take if you were in this situation? Thanks!!!
My concerns:
I dont want to take them off of their clutch because i’ve read this is “lockdown stage” and i dont want to endanger the hatching chick.
If i spray and get them all wet, i dont want to risk breaking their broodiness.
If i dont do anything now, i risk the babies getting infested.
Thanks again for any advice

My broody never got assistance from me (she was VERY independent). I am 100% positive she probably had lice or mites, yet her chicks never seemed to get any. I would dust them all, mama, and babies, once they are older. If the babies seem sickly or have a ton of external parasites in a few days, by all means dust them then. For now, leave them be, it's a crucial stage.

My broody never got assistance from me (she was VERY independent). I am 100% positive she probably had lice or mites, yet her chicks never seemed to get any. I would dust them all, mama, and babies, once they are older. If the babies seem sickly or have a ton of external parasites in a few days, by all means dust them then. For now, leave them be, it's a crucial stage.
Thank you for this advice. I will leave them be and check on the situation once the babies are hatched and fluffy.

Back
Top Bottom