Lice on chickens and I pregnant

I'd think the amount of medicine that passes through to the eggs would be pretty negligent. Plus, cooking them should change the molecular structure of any medication in the eggs, destroying the medication. Not saying this is the best way forward, but it's taking things kinda far to state that the eggs being fed back to the birds equals another dose.

For any kind of treatments with whatever you use, dress appropriately. I have certain clothes I wear, with my choice of products I use, and a mask. I feel safe. I have had no issues and my birds are better too. I love my birds. I'm old and my kids are not children, in their 50's, so I don't have to worry about that but I am concerned for my own health and that of my birds.

When you feed those eggs back to your birds, they are getting another dose of whatever might be in those eggs, so defeating the whole point of having a withdrawal period.
Mary

You do make a point, but just from my limited knowledge of the liver function involved, it isn't significant enough to begin with. Also, considering the commonly recommended treatment schedule (every 7 days for a month), the eggs aren't going to be close to fit for human consumption for two months, anyways. Adding them back in to the mix during the treatment schedule seems unlikely to cause an extension of the residual complications.

The eggs would be consumed and affect the resulting eggs at a significantly reduced amount. The permethrin has already been processed by the chickens once and the liver has filtered a much larger dosage out. Similar to alcohol in breastmilk argument - the levels in the blood, even being at .08 (DUI range in blood levels), would be .16 proof in terms of alcohol by content. (Beer runs around 5-8% AbV or 10-16 proof, so 1/100th of the alcohol content). Approximately equivalent to the alcohol content naturally occurring in some fruit juices.

If the permethrin levels of the original egg are considered negligible to begin with, being filtered through the chicken's liver once more should render the permethrin virtually undetectable at that point.

Either way, I should have explained that the chickens and their coop will still be getting treated for several weeks while I am feeding them back their eggs.

Also good to note that absorption through consumption/inhalation is much greater than absorption through skin.

I'd think the amount of medicine that passes through to the eggs would be pretty negligent. Plus, cooking them should change the molecular structure of any medication in the eggs, destroying the medication. Not saying this is the best way forward, but it's taking things kinda far to state that the eggs being fed back to the birds equals another dose.

I guess I should have read the next post ;)

For any kind of treatments with whatever you use, dress appropriately. I have certain clothes I wear, with my choice of products I use, and a mask. I feel safe. I have had no issues and my birds are better too. I love my birds. I'm old and my kids are not children, in their 50's, so I don't have to worry about that but I am concerned for my own health and that of my birds.
Yeah I wish I had known about the $10 Hazmat suits, I did have gloves and a mask. The hazmat suit is definitely coming in to play if I ever have to do this again!

As the others posts have said there is no withdrawal period. I use permethrin and it works. It doesn't kill the pests eggs so repeat thorough sprayings are necessary.
I figure it’s best to treat every 7 days? How many times did you have to do it? Also any suggestions on what I can put on my chickens skin for irritation? Poor girls butt looks really sore

This is what I use and it seems to work well, at least for me. It's an antiseptic wound dressing. I had a bird that was being picked on and looked terrible. I sprayed her with this and she was blue and I put her in another coop and the birds left her alone. She healed nicely and got all of her feathers back it and was beautiful again.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUH9T34/?tag=backy-20

With the permethrin, I sprayed the coops weekly for about a month. So far so good. I haven't had any problems. I'm about to do my big fall clean of the coops where I clean them out and take the power washer inside them and power wash everything. I may give a spray after I clean since all residue from past sprayings will be gone and I have seen wild birds go into the coops but more so in the spring early summer when they try to build nest. I think they have brought in the mites before. I do the big clean with the power washer twice a year,in the spring and fall.

Back
Top Bottom