Lice on chickens and I pregnant

Sorry, it was ShannonR, who thinks that Ivermectin is a better choice for the OP to use. It's easier, for sure, but not the best choice, IMO.
Mary
Why, because that's what the government tells you?

I've never been one to scramble to do what government tells me to do, sorry. With Ivermectin there is NO multiple treatments and NO hazmat suits involved. If there were a serious issue with egg withdrawal time that data would have been made public long ago. This is a human baby we (or at least I...) am looking to protect here.

Withdrawal for eggs using Ivermectin is generally stated at 7 days. Here is one source of info on the product's use in poultry.
Egg Withdrawal period: As advised by Vet, depends on the strength of solution. Vets prescribing Ivomec Eprinex usually advise 7 days. https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/ivermectin-for-worms-lice-mites/

It is also important to note that other nations have different poultry protocols and guidelines regarding the use of Ivermectin in poultry. It is not the Devil. Once and done. No hazmat suits, lol just gloves. And no inhaling nasty, baby harming chemicals.

It's a lovely drug, and not approved for use in laying hens in the USA, Canada, the UK, or Ireland, according to FARAD.org. Information develops, and rules change over time.
The OP has to decide how to go forward, and she needs current information.
Mary

I really appreciate everyone’s information and opinions. It helped me to make what I hope to be an effective decision. I ended up using the pyrethrin spray inside the coop and on the chickens. I’m mixing DE into the fresh coop shavings and into their dust baths. I decided on the DE because I did not want to breath in pyrethrin dust when I’m out caring for my flock. I had my husband and teenager spray the girls and coop down. I opened the door for a second after they were done to Maine sure they did everything and boy does that stuff smell. Think I will be inside most of the day staying away from that. All I can say is thank goodness my husband loves those chickens.

I really appreciate everyone’s information and opinions. It helped me to make what I hope to be an effective decision. I ended up using the pyrethrin spray inside the coop and on the chickens. I’m mixing DE into the fresh coop shavings and into their dust baths. I decided on the DE because I did not want to breath in pyrethrin dust when I’m out caring for my flock. I had my husband and teenager spray the girls and coop down. I opened the door for a second after they were done to Maine sure they did everything and boy does that stuff smell. Think I will be inside most of the day staying away from that. All I can say is thank goodness my husband loves those chickens.
DE is horrible to breath in for the birds and you.

Yes I do know that DE is bad to breath in. I got the human grade DE from the health food store that people eat for health benefits. I did not get the yard version. I just had to weigh out what I felt my flock needed and what I felt was safest to be around while pregnant. I Don’t want my chickens health to be depleted with lice and I don’t want my baby to be around pyrethrin dust. The DE is just being used as a preventative treatment of the coop shavings, as funny enough the feed store that I get my shavings from told me that they had gotten lice from a batch of shavings. I bought a new bag as I was feeling pretty suspect about it. My girls have been kept in a really large run because I’m in the California Quaratine area (no where near any of the hot spots thank goodness) It was not until the past few weeks that I allow them to freerange the yard supervised, we have been making sure all wild birds stay away.

Yes I do know that DE is bad to breath in. I got the human grade DE from the health food store that people eat for health benefits. I did not get the yard version. I just had to weigh out what I felt my flock needed and what I felt was safest to be around while pregnant. I Don’t want my chickens health to be depleted with lice and I don’t want my baby to be around pyrethrin dust. The DE is just being used as a preventative treatment of the coop shavings, as funny enough the feed store that I get my shavings from told me that they had gotten lice from a batch of shavings. I bought a new bag as I was feeling pretty suspect about it. My girls have been kept in a really large run because I’m in the California Quaratine area (no where near any of the hot spots thank goodness) It was not until the past few weeks that I allow them to freerange the yard supervised, we have been making sure all wild birds stay away.
DE period is bad the breathe in.
It doesn't matter if it's food grade.

It's a big myth about it preventing or getting rid of lice and or mites so don't count on it to do anything.

Just as an FYI, I ran across this study the other day in regards to permethrin use and residue in the egg yolks. For regular adults, I'd say sure for the withdrawal period. But since you are pregnant, I figured you should know that levels peaked at 7 days post-treatment and residue was still detected in the egg yolks as far out as 21 days.

I personally basically bathed in permethrin. It is listed as a suspected carcinogen. I won't be feeding my kids the eggs, though, until at least two weeks out from the end of my battle. Whether or not there there is a withdrawal time, because things change as new studies come out, and I won't risk that for my kids, as I'm sure you agree with in regards to your baby (congratulations!)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7343077

Also, northern fowl mites can start laying eggs as soon as 4 days in to their life cycle. I had a hard core infestation with my newly acquired hens (yayyyy). I hit the coop 4 days after the initial treatment, even though you're supposed to wait 7, largely because I wanted to get them before the next hatching round started to lay eggs again. Something to consider, I figured that it would reduce my waiting period on the eggs, and greatly relieve my hens. I also didn't use the full strength the second go, either, I used the second treatment recommendation on the bottle, which is significantly reduced in concentration.

Just as an FYI, I ran across this study the other day in regards to permethrin use and residue in the egg yolks. For regular adults, I'd say sure for the withdrawal period. But since you are pregnant, I figured you should know that levels peaked at 7 days post-treatment and residue was still detected in the egg yolks as far out as 21 days.

I personally basically bathed in permethrin. It is listed as a suspected carcinogen. I won't be feeding my kids the eggs, though, until at least two weeks out from the end of my battle. Whether or not there there is a withdrawal time, because things change as new studies come out, and I won't risk that for my kids, as I'm sure you agree with in regards to your baby (congratulations!)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7343077

Also, northern fowl mites can start laying eggs as soon as 4 days in to their life cycle. I had a hard core infestation with my newly acquired hens (yayyyy). I hit the coop 4 days after the initial treatment, even though you're supposed to wait 7, largely because I wanted to get them before the next hatching round started to lay eggs again. Something to consider, I figured that it would reduce my waiting period on the eggs, and greatly relieve my hens. I also didn't use the full strength the second go, either, I used the second treatment recommendation on the bottle, which is significantly reduced in concentration.
That is very helpful info, thank you. I guess I will be throwing out eggs for awhile

Back
Top Bottom