Lice or just bald patches…

Ch1cken7

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2021
I have a Barred rock that has a big bald spot on her belly. Can’t see it unless we flip her over and investigate. All the other birds are pretty well covered but some do have a small patch in that area. She has the biggest for sure.

I expected to find mites, or lice but honestly I can’t see anything. There’s a bunch of dry skin but I see nothing moving and no egg blobs. The skin looks pink but not like aggravated red.

It’s just a large bald patch. Do I treat for lice anyway? We just did a full clean of the coop. I’m going to spray premethrin on everything then throw some new bedding back in.

Same chicken has some scaly feet. I don’t see any mites in there. I have a Cochin that seems to have super scaly feet but again no signs of movement in there. They just look rough compared to my wyandottes. Treat for scaly mites just in case? Guess there’s no harm…

I have a Barred rock that has a big bald spot on her belly. Can’t see it unless we flip her over and investigate. All the other birds are pretty well covered but some do have a small patch in that area. She has the biggest for sure.

I expected to find mites, or lice but honestly I can’t see anything. There’s a bunch of dry skin but I see nothing moving and no egg blobs. The skin looks pink but not like aggravated red.

It’s just a large bald patch. Do I treat for lice anyway? We just did a full clean of the coop. I’m going to spray premethrin on everything then throw some new bedding back in.

Same chicken has some scaly feet. I don’t see any mites in there. I have a Cochin that seems to have super scaly feet but again no signs of movement in there. They just look rough compared to my wyandottes. Treat for scaly mites just in case? Guess there’s no harm…
Following. I exact same thing has happened with our 8 month old welsummer. None of the others in the flock.

Worth noting she’s fairly high in the pecking order so not bullying most likely. I was reading the permethrin directions and it says about .5oz/gal of water and to spray the affect spot. Going to go super light with it but hit the spot and the feet.

Spraying down the cleaned out coop and nest box now too. We shall see.

Same chicken has some scaly feet. I don’t see any mites in there. I have a Cochin that seems to have super scaly feet but again no signs of movement in there
Scaly leg mites are microscopic and movement will never be seen only their evidence which is raised scales and yellow crust sometimes redness or missing feathers. Some raised scales are simply a side effect effect of age and have fresh new scales ready to go under neath.. and also are slightly raised at the bends of the ankle to allow for movement.. age and condition should be considered.

skin looks pink but not like aggravated red.
Angry red is the indicator, light pink is *usually* not an issue (I check birds monthly because season and load changes). Looking after dark with a flashlight is the easiest way to see things running away.. plus roost mites live under the roost not on the bird and will rarely be seen during daytime inspections since only come out to feed at night. Run a paper towel under roost several hours after dark, and check for blood smears for this type. Permethrin should also works against those, spray under roosts when treating.

Careful with the flipping, I'm sure you are. Some bald spot might be from manual aggravation.. like rubbing on the roost.. They actually rest on their keel bone with their feet on either side for balance.

Using DE in dust baths may contribute to broken feathers and dry skin.

I personally try not to treat UNLESS I see cause.. like angry skin, live bugs, or nits/eggs.. because resistance is a real problem.

Which leads to the next statement.. treat fully.. every one .. not super light or just the effected spot.. A small spritz just below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the back nape of the neck where the head meets sill do it.. making sure feathers are parted and it's hitting the skin (head lice don't travel to the body, and vice versa).. and be sure to follow through in 10-14 days or as directed on the package!

Nice job, keeping check on the birds and catching things! Hope there's some useful and helpful feedback in my post. :fl

Thanks that was super helpful. I sprayed all the places and above and under the roost. Letting it dry out now.

So you can spray birds with this stuff? I’ve always been cautious with it, for humans you’re not supposed to have skin contact with it. Seems to not be the case with birds. Guess it could sprits them with the left over I have. Think scaly mites will be eradicated with it too?

I just watched some YouTube videos. Seem most people use the 10% stuff but we got the 13.3% stuff so I diluted to .5oz/gal otherwise if you have the 10% you’ll want to bump up your oz/gal.

People are pretty relaxed with this stuff, seems like a harsh chemical to me but I dunno. We’ll shoot the feet, under the wings and behind the neck as suggested. Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom