Lice please help

Stanlyb

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
I've got two girls that i adopted. They have shaft lice. It's very frustrating and they've got bald spots and losing feathers. I'll take any advice. They don't seem to be dusty bathing alot. I want to put DE on them but worry about it causing breathing problems. Please anything will help right now.

A cheap and effective lice treatment is Permethrin poultry and garden dusting powder. DE will not kill the lice. You do need to be careful when applying this powder so it doesn't get into the chickens' respiratory system. It is non-toxic to poultry. It requires at least one follow up treatment.

Another safe and easy to use lice product in Elector PSP, a spinosad concentrate. You can mix up a dipping solution or fill a spray bottle and spray the skin. I prefer this as it also kills the nits.

I would love the elector psp but it's expensive. I'll try the other dust. Any tips on how to keep it from getting in the respiratory of the chicken?

Select a calm day, no wind. Take the can and hold it as close to the skin as you can while parting the feathers. Shake only hard enough to cover the skin. Neck, vent, and under the wings are most important because those places are humid and that's where the bugs like to hang out.

It helps of you wear a dust mask. Your respiratory system is important, too.

Thank you so much for the help i just ordered permethrin. So wish me luck and I'll give an update soon.

Back
Top Bottom