Lice problem and more sickness what do i even do atp

OFWGKTA

Chirping
Dec 27, 2023
I went to a chicken swap today, my mom spent 80? bucks on 4 japanese bantams. I was so happy, but i realized they had a VERY familiar smell and it put me off, and one had a dark red comb. Honestly me being stupid i thought it was the breed or js the chicken with the dark comb and thought nothing of it. Few hours ago i realized one of my new hens was mouth breathing and had one of her nostrils clogged. I clean her nose with a qtip and go on with my day thinking she just had food stuck and THATS why she was breathing that way! Nope! Still doing it. So great, one of my hens has RESPATORY ISSUES! now comes the part about the SMELL i recognised. I look at the same hen, i see a black. lice. crawling on her. And i look at her vent. ALMOST 20 IN A HUGE CIRCLE ABOVER HER BUTTHOLE????? THE FAMILIAR UNSETTLING SMELL WAS POULTRY PROTECTER SPRAY. OH MY GOD. i show my sister and we start treating her with some poultry protecter (now keep in mind this was the first thing i grabbed. Idk if it works well, my other stuff involves a whole process and i just wanted to do a quicky cuz i panicked) now comes the third problem. All of them have red, inflamed skin. Every time we spray we see red skin. Honestly i feel like a huge douche for continuing with this skin but i just wanted the best for these chickens. Their skin on their butt was bright red because of the AMOUNT OF LICE. i mean, this is the WORST amount on one chicken. Im sorry for the long rant but STOP BRINGING UNHEALTHY CHICKENS TO A SWAP MEET. AND IF U DO ATLEAST TELL WHAT IS WRONG BEFORE THEY BUY!!!!!!!!! Pls help. I really dont even know where to START with this!!!

Oh so sorry! That's hard on them and you!

If you have other chickens, I hope you are quarantining these.

The poultry protector may be good, but I know that the vast majority of folks here will recommend Permethrin powder. I've heard some say they put it in an old sock then gently "beat" the chicken with it to get under their wings, vent area, neck.

Do you have some Poultry Cell or other vitamins you can put in their water? That will help them as they fight what the lice did and whatever else they may have.

If the respiratory issues continue, you may need to get an antibiotic to beat it. I'd give it a day or two so you can evaluate if they are getting worse or better.

Back
Top Bottom