Lice

Midwayruth

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2015
Savannah, Georgia
Can't get the lice problem under control. Coop is very dry. Dust with DE on a regular basis, completely cleaned coop out 2 weeks ago. Automatic watering system, all water is completely clean, food as well. Suggestions. Not fond of using chemicals but will consider at this point. The lice are laying large pods on the birds. My red rangers are affected the most.

I avoid chemicals at all cost. I use DE in bedding, nests and on roosts when I clean a coop. However, when one has an infestation, it's time to pull out the big guns. 5% Sevin dust is what I recommend but there are also pyrethrum sprays and topical treatments like frontline.
Once you have bugs, don't fool around or you are putting off a fix.

So far the only thing that's helped with mine has been to use the lice powder......we had a few issues with them (just on our 3 hybrids) and tried other things, all natural alternatives, but in the end a good dust with that sorted it.

I am newbie chicken owner only 8 months. Went into the pen this morning and one of my Red Rangers was dead on her back. She has no outward signs of trauma. She was very healthy and has been laying an egg everyday. She has not had any strange behavior and nothing could get into our pen. Should I just let this go or is there somewhere I could bring "Penny" to find out possibly what happened? A couple of months ago the same thing happened with one of our Marans. I did get the lice problem under control and she had no lice on her.

I am newbie chicken owner only 8 months. Went into the pen this morning and one of my Red Rangers was dead on her back. She has no outward signs of trauma. She was very healthy and has been laying an egg everyday. She has not had any strange behavior and nothing could get into our pen. Should I just let this go or is there somewhere I could bring "Penny" to find out possibly what happened? A couple of months ago the same thing happened with one of our Marans. I did get the lice problem under control and she had no lice on her.
Here are some resources for you. It looks like a necropsy for poultry is $80. But you may want to contact someone on here and find out more.
http://www.agr.georgia.gov/veterinary-diagnostic-laboratories.aspx

Thank you for your input; I will do so. I just read about Sudden Death with chickens. We put her in the frig and will investigate possibilities. I have to weigh the cost of my heart. She was one of my favorites. Our hen flock only consisted of 6 females. We have got 30 new chicks which we will introduce in April. I have time to see what happens to the others. Just don't know what to do. I have another bird that has a hurt leg. She got it caught in some fencing and now is limping. I quarantined her for a while to let her rest but it doesn't look like that helped. She is 11 months old and has never produced any eggs.

It isn't the cost of your heart or your affection for the bird. The point is wanting to find out what killed the bird so you know if it is contagious, what the prescribed treatment is, if no action is required or if you need to cull the entire flock.
It is always worth the cost of a necropsy and the fresher the bird, the more conclusive the test results. The longer dead, the less evidence remains.

There are at least 15 diseases and afflictions that can kill a chicken suddenly with no other symptoms. Lice isn't one of those.

I don't know if you feed that bird layer but I'd like to add.
Feeding layer feed to a bird that has never laid eggs will likely lead to kidney damage, gout and death - likely with no symptoms till they die.

You have 3 labs in the following link.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Last edited:
Good point Kathy.

MO had an $80 fee. They kept billing me and I kept forgetting to pay (which I eventually did). I asked what would happen if I didn't and they said, "probably nothing". However, I'll bet they might not do another for me if I didn't pay.

Good point Kathy.

MO had an $80 fee. They kept billing me and I kept forgetting to pay (which I eventually did). I asked what would happen if I didn't and they said, "probably nothing". However, I'll bet they might not do another for me if I didn't pay.

UC Davis charges $120 for peafowl, but I have been able to get them to waive the fee on a few. :D

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom