lice!!!

It seems like people report mixed results when using diatomaceous earth to treat lice. I like to see studies evaluating differnent techniques and products. I found one study regarding DE (on mites not lice), it is titled:
"Effect of diatomaceous earth on parasite load, egg production, and egg quality of free-range organic laying hens"
A link to it can be found on this website:
http://absorbentproductsltd.wordpress.com/tag/diatomaceous-earth-insecticide/
The study found DE did reduce the number of mites. Take the study for what its worth. The more knowledge the better.

I just used DE today for lice, we will see how it works.

I wish I would have seen this about the coconut oil. I just used pyrethrin to dust my two hens tonight. I'll try the coconut oil to follow-up.

I used the "shake and bake" method with the dust. I used a large cloth bag and put the dust in. Then the hen up to her head and shake and bake baby! It worked pretty well but my daughter thought I was nuts!

I love this info about VCO! I am going to try it tomorrow. On Sunday the kids and I bathed 7 chickens and 3 rooster to rid them of lice. Today we are tackling two more chickens and three guineas.

We bathed the chickens in Dr. Bronners and then a vinegar/water dip and then a rinse. When I checked them at bedtime I didn't see any bugs. I am going to bath the others today and then try the coconut oil spray tomorrow when I can get a spray bottle. We were going to give them another bath in a week but if I can avoid it, that would be great. I will try spraying the roost too.

We are chemical free here, so Sevin would be an absolute last resort for us.

I use sevin - it's safe and easy - I also sprinkle some in the area where the chickens dust themselves - they do a pretty good job of getting it all over themsleves -

I just checked the chickens I bathed and I found lice again.

I am going to try the coconut oil on them, otherwise, I will dust them all in Sevin cuz lice? yuck.

If you haven't treated your coop thats where they are, you'll have to remove all your bedding treat from top to bottom then put back fresh bedding but not too much because in 7-10 days you'll need to treat again to kill the ones that hatched. I use a product called Poultry Protector from Whelp hatcheries. I buy it in the gallon you mix it with water, safe and chemical free. you can also use it on your birds.

I did clean the coop out and put in new bedding and DE.

The chickens weren't crawling with lice. They just had a few to start with. Yesterday they were dusting themselves a lot. I will bath them and treat with coconut oil next week, clean the coop again and see if it all works.

I am wondering if it is normal for them to have a few lice? And they keep it under control with regular dusting? I didn't see any egg clusters.

I did clean the coop out and put in new bedding and DE.

The chickens weren't crawling with lice. They just had a few to start with. Yesterday they were dusting themselves a lot. I will bath them and treat with coconut oil next week, clean the coop again and see if it all works.

I am wondering if it is normal for them to have a few lice? And they keep it under control with regular dusting? I didn't see any egg clusters.
I had a mite infestation 1 time since having chickens and I can say from experience DE will not kill them. I was shocked when i found mites crawling on me because I had used DE for years but my chickens got mites. It's great for keeping food fresh and for helping to keep ordor down but I honestly don't think it will kill mites or lice. As for them having a few lice I am not sure, but a few will lead to many.

Last edited:
Walmart carries coconut oil - but not virgin coconut oil and it has to be the virgin because the other is so over processed that all the "good stuff" is removed. You can get it at Sprouts or Whole Foods if you have them...or any health food store. I've found it's usually with all the wholistic medicines/shampoos/etc - not the cooking section. I order mine online as it's cheaper in the long run, but for an emergency (like this) you'll probably spend $10 or $12 for a small container.

Wish I had seen this post first..... Found Coconut oil at Wal*Mart but you're right it's not Virgin Coconut oil
sad.png
. It's very hard to find VCO. Thanks for the tips on where I might find it because in the food stores I've been looking in the cooking oil section. On the hunt again just to keep on hand though Lice problem under control for now.
fl.gif
Thanks Again for all the helpful info!

I get the organic extra virgin coconut oil at food for less in the organic/natural area. I think Fred Meyer has it too.

Back
Top Bottom