1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LICE!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by starkiller8, Dec 2, 2012.

1. starkiller8

starkiller8 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Elko, Nevada
    So maybe you saw my other threads on fleas, well that was wrong. i have lice. it still sucks so i can use all the advice i can get. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Lice are much easier to get rid of than fleas, since their entire life cycle is completed on the animal. Sevin dust every two weeks should do it. I would also dust the coop especially any dark corners, since you probably also have mites.

3. t8562005

t8562005 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    Something a old timer told me if you take vegetable oil or any kind of cooking oil and put it on the chickens roosts the lice will die. Since lice are insects the breath through their skin. When the oil gets on the lice they can't breath.

A few years ago I got a lice problem with my chickens and tried it out and it got rid of the lice. Now I just always put it on the roosts once a month and I have yet to have a problem with them again.

I also had some on the peeps and all I did was put a little bit of vegetable oil on their backs and breasts kept it on them for 8 hours and washed it off them and all the lice were dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by