Liege cockerel

Khathaway09

Chirping
Nov 28, 2020
Columbus, Indiana
Hi, I bought a Liege cockerel who was born in May 2020. My question is when will he become a rooster? His pea comb is still light pink and he's afraid of everything. I have an established flock of 10 hens and 5 guinea fowl. When I'm outside supervising the hens and guineas will go after him and he comes running to me because he knows they won't go after me so he's smart! I understand there is a pecking order but he won't stand up for himself. Help!

Hi, I bought a Liege cockerel who was born in May 2020. My question is when will he become a rooster? His pea comb is still light pink and he's afraid of everything. I have an established flock of 10 hens and 5 guinea fowl. When I'm outside supervising the hens and guineas will go after him and he comes running to me because he knows they won't go after me so he's smart! I understand there is a pecking order but he won't stand up for himself. Help!
He will become a rooster when he is 1 year old. That is when all cockerels become roosters.

He is still young and new to the flock. He needs time to integrate with them. He will work it out. As long as he can get away from the others and isn't getting injured, leave them to work things out.

Him being a type of game may take a little over a year before he reaches his peak overall coloring and structure. He is considered a rooster at a year old, as Dobie said.

Back
Top Bottom