Life at the Manic Menagerie

FunnieFarmer

Hatching
8 Years
May 22, 2011
My Better Half, Kasii, found this site a short while back and introduced me to it. Couldn't stay off for long; there's just too much to learn here. In addition to our deverse (perverse?) flock, we have goats (3 adults, including purebred LaMancha and Red Boer bucks and a Boer/Saanen/Nubian doe, who is a wonderful mom and 3 weanlings), a lamb, who thinks he's a dog, two horses (one here, one on an indefinite "cost of care" lease), 5 dogs (all pedigreed mutts, ranging in size from 18 to 180 pounds), several cats (kittens, anyone?), and rabbits. Anyone care to guess what my 3 worst allergies are?

Our flock began with a beautiful Bantam rooster, Rocky, and then our second (current) rooster, The Magnificent Rusty, also a Bantie. Rusty came to us when a neighbor found him on their porch and assumed he was ours ("nope, but we'll hold him for now."). When we had to choose between Rusty and Rocky, Rusty's personality won us over. Chick day came along and we got 8 hatchlings to, hopefully, give Rusty some girlfriends. We got one hen. Snowball turned out to be a wonderfully broody, sweet little frizzle Bantie, who raised two wonderfull broods, before an owl got her. We still have 4 of her babies, 3 hens and a spectacular little rooster (Stew got his name from his attitude, that's where he was heading).

Currently, our flock includes four of Rusty and Snowball's chicks, all feather-legged and 5 toed, a Wellsummer, an Ameraucauna pair, a Polish Crested Pair, a Jersey Giant Pair, a Blue Andalusian, and a mess of mixed babies, including White Leghorns, Buckeyes, Silver-laced Wyandottes, Red Stars and some "hatchery's choice" babies that we can only guess at.

We also have a fledgeling Embden goose and an Indian Runner duck (whose mate died this morning).

The majority of our gang are doing well, but I've lost 7 babies in the last 2 weeks (including the duckling) and I'm getting worried and frustrated. These are not livestock; they are beloved pets and every loss we take personally, so I am here, hoping to learn how to not lose any more (and also to find a new mate for Ping and maybe one for our Embden).

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I hope you find a mate for your ducky! BYC is IMPOSSIBLE to stay off-trust me.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from California!

I have a large mixed flock and had a Cayuga pair until a predator got Thelma whilst she was brooding on a hidden nest. (Got the eggs, too - which weren't all duck eggs -Thelma didn't care.) Louie is now a widower. I had some call duck eggs which hatched and now have 3 black, bibbed call ducks but they're too small to serve as wives for Louie. So I picked up some Cayuga ducklings at the feed store. I am not sure if any are girls!

But Louie is now happy to have his own flock, and he's been playing Daddy to them very nicely. The Cayugas are not totally feathered out yet, so I might still have time to discover a wife for Louie amongst them...

Just wanted to react to your desire to get a wife for a special flock member, in addition to welcoming you to BYC.

Bantam roosters are hilarious!
lol.png
I apprentice for a cattle farmer on Saturdays and he has the most awesome Bantam rooster. This little thing can't be more than 8 inches tall but his cocky attitude more than makes up for it. I have to constantly shoo him out of the milking shed because he even scares the cows! LOL

One day when my husband and I aren't living in the city limits we'll get a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom