life expectancy of chickens

evergreen1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Anybody knows how long can chickens and roosters live? anyone on here has chickens that are over 5 years old?

My oldest chicken is 7. I only keep them if they are producing. If she keeps producing I will let you know. She still lays 5 eggs a week. She slows down twice a year and is approaching her winter slow period. She will probably slow to an egg a week through the winter. She is a Buff Orpington cross. she looks her age, and she is in full molt and still laying every day. I would love 5 more like her.

We have a 5 1/2 year old Light Brahma hen. She's still active and laying. Our backyard flock is small, but in thinking of it, I've never lost a chicken to old age.

They free range & my losses have been from injury (dog attack, she lived a year after it but was never the same), or predators (raccoons and foxes mostly). The Light Brahma sticks close to home, which helps explain her 'luck.'

I've had hatchery birds in the 7 year range. They were quite healthy and did lay eggs, not a ton but did still lay. I gave them away because my entire flock was aging and I was spending too much on feed for the return I had.

I had some hatchery roosters also make it to 7 years or so. I have to say, older roosters are such gentlemen!

I've had hatchery birds in the 7 year range. They were quite healthy and did lay eggs, not a ton but did still lay. I gave them away because my entire flock was aging and I was spending too much on feed for the return I had.

I had some hatchery roosters also make it to 7 years or so. I have to say, older roosters are such gentlemen!
I definitely agree! The older the better :D

They aren't as randy, and really take care of those girls :love

Back
Top Bottom