Life from the Parsonage - A Journal of our Journey.

Parson's Wife

Blessed Abundantly
15 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Arkansas
You can follow my personal blog on Blogspot.com
My blog page is Life From the Parsonage
and I am, The Parson's Wife
Here is the link:

http://lifefromtheparsonage.blogspot.com/

January was an uneventful month, besides one, my cast came off at the end of it. Now I wear a brace, hoping to be free from restraints soon.

January 31st bought little giant, still air, non-egg turner, incubator for $50 at Feed Store.
Feb 1st, plugged in and awaiting eggs...
Feb 2 nd, searching, searching, searching- for the correct temp!
barnie.gif

Feb 6th, eggs arrived (24) (bought from bamachicken
jumpy.gif
)
@ 5:00 pm I placed them in the incubator.
Now, I'm waiting, turning, checking, waiting, turning, checking....

Why did I want chickens? I'm a farmer at heart...I also thought to save money & make a little money....eggs in our pantry, and supply church members with FRESH eggs!
yippiechickie.gif

The Coop...well, it's a skeleton at this time...a very thin skeleton. My husbands schedule is extremely binding, and the thought of a power tool, well it makes me weak...I see images of blood, lost members of my body lying on the ground...whew..enough.
And of course, I still can't do much with my hand; it is frustrating.

Yes, today is Saturday the 9th...my husband is at a seminary class. As he will be every month till May on the second saturdays. Then of course, Angel food is the first and third saturdays...and then we hope...we get the fourth saturday!!
We don't have him through the week anyway, rent houses are always calling...he's repairing 3 to get ready to rent...they are waiting and that is money...soooo,(saying silently to myself " don't fuss, don't fuss, don't fuss.."
duc.gif
)

Today the church women have gathered to clean and decorate the fellowship hall for tonights Valentines Banquet.
love.gif
I see 2 cars over there as I type...which means I must go, wouldn't want them to think the pastors wife was lazy or trying to out of working...(
th.gif
)

You know, I grew up on a farm, fed and handled the chickens, but I never incubated....what fun we missed! Mom just left them with the broody hens...I know that's best...but I'm having fun here. Well, when I'm not frustrated!

As a note to add, my little chickens (faith,
fl.gif
faith,
fl.gif
faith
fl.gif
)
are to be little Silkies...(black, white, and hmmmm)

I bid you farewell for this Saturday....

Last edited:
I bet if you were to ask for a little help with the coop, your congregation would be happy to do so. I know that church families become close knit and everyone helps out. The promise of fresh eggs in the future will even sweeten the deal.
smile.png

hit.gif
I broke an egg.
Yes, it was a viable egg, blood leaked out the side. At first, I couldn't bear to look, then I did. There were veins running everywhere, and a dark spot...wonder if that's the eye or the heart? I need to look that up...or if someone knows...

Feb. 12, 8:20 pm Bought a wiggler, and was putting a therm. into it...the wiggler shot the therm. out like an arrow! and....it fell on that egg, the cover was up...live an learn.
idunno.gif

so I'm down to 21 eggs....hope the rest make it...
fl.gif

Hope everyone else doesn't make the same mistake I did....keep the cover down!

My darling husband is supposed to be coming home early, extra early today, to work on the coop...I took pictures of what we have so far...will download and put them on...
clap.gif

We are beginning to get green grass, little tufts here and there, even though the weather is cold and rainy....I believe that Spring is trying to spring!
wee.gif

My hand still frustrates me..( I broke my wrist, had pins put in and some bone graphing) the doctor said my tendons still were not healed like they needed to be, (that means slow, slow), has he ever heard of children? church? LIFE?!!

Well, things could be worse.

Update : our church people wanted to go and help the towns that were damaged in the tornados last week...so one Saturday soon, we are taking our church van of people and tools to assist in anyway possible; either Clinton or Atkins, not sure just yet. Keep praying for all those who were effected. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
yippiechickie.gif

Sides are up on the chicken coop!! (and that was with 2 church people stopping by for visits!) Roof and door tomorrow (
fl.gif
)
Oh Ye of little Faith.
duc.gif

Still Turning the eggs, I pray over them
fl.gif

I'm really quite a bit more excited than I thought I would be.

Big week-end, Friday night is a singing ...Karen Peck and New River are singing...yes, we are taking the church van...(9) at this point in time...and taking pillows too! Oh and in-laws coming down. Then Saturday morning is AngelFood, busy time...
And Saturday evening is our fundraiser...a 'Poor Boy Supper'...
big_smile.png

Soo, I will just keep on turning those little darlings and enjoy the day that God has given us.

Funny little story: My daughter looked at the eggs on about day 2, and said, "Mom, if they were golden, we could make a lot of money!"
jumpy.gif

Wonder if anyone has goose eggs for sale?

Quote:
lol.png
That's so cute! Little kids and chickens are a great thing. There's alot of ADD kids in my 4-h that never sit still, EXCEPT for when I'm holding a chicken and talking about it, then I only see wide eyes and questions. It's nice.

D.gif

Feb. 20th This is a wednesday, that's our church night...
My company left yesterday. Our "Poor boy Supper" was a success. And I've turned the eggs twice on two different nights....I'm a bad hatcher....
Friday night singing was great! She was on her way back from the Grammy's. She had been nominated for her latest album..."Journey to Joy"...she is a talented woman. They were entertaining as well.
Saturday Morning seemed like it was going to turn into a disaster...
But the Lord helped, and while I had a few panicked moments...it smoothed out there ....the Angel Food truck was late, people had arrived, several drive long distances, and they were not happy...not ugly, just not happy....which makes me nervous...
he.gif

My smile was pasty...and trust me, I know how to smile when you don't feel like it, and my throat became hoarse by the end of the day....we went straight from Angelfood, to slicing potatoes for the Poor Boy Supper....the beans were heavenly...my father-in-law helped to cook those, and my mother-in-law was a blessing with the fried taters!
We have a wonderful group of church people, we laughed and talked and served and cleaned and did it all again several times....
th.gif
I ran back and forth between the church and parsonage so many times....my little ones didn't want to be there, my "helper" kept appearing back at the fellowship hall...they wanted to 'visit'...
and it rained cats and dogs almost the whole day...I tread water on the sidewalk from the parsonage to the church when it sprinkles...it's flat land down here...soggy, boggy, flat, swampy land.
It's a mosquito heaven. Ugghh!
smack.gif

Anyway, made it back to the house and dropped to the couch and didn't really remember much...somehow tucked in my little darlings..climbed into my bed and then the crazy alarm clock didn't work...well, it did, I just thought it didn't because it seemed like I had just laid down when it went off...and my Sunday Work began...
It was Saturday night and Sunday night when I turned the eggs only twice...
My husbands appointment was yesterday, he is healthy, Thank God! and we said good-bye to our company....
I'm in the process of trying to make a 'deal' for some Nubian goats! Still working out a few details...mainly trying to get my sisters to come in with me...what am I going to do with 9 goats?
The upper half of Arkansas is getting some snow and a lot of ice today and tommorrow...so it will be next week before we can do much about the goats...I think it's just mostly going to be cold here. At least it's made those awful green frogs hide! Yuck, have I got a story about them and water bugs! I'll tell it someother time!
My chicken coop, well, it's forlorn...well buttered biscuits, I am going to get out there and do it myself! I'm going to get it done!
"I can do all things thru Christ, who strengtheneth me!"
Here are a coupla photo's of the progress...
URL=http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii15/parsonswife/chickens012.jpg]
th_chickens012.jpg
[/url]

I'm not really sure about the dimensions...he's told me several times...I retained that info really well...NOT!
roll.png

I don't think I mentioned last weeks service it was wonderful! A young woman came in and was saved...then this Saturday, yes in the midst of all the hustle and bustle, she experienced a miracle...I can't post it here...but it was a miracle!
yippiechickie.gif

I wonder if every mother thinks her children are the brightest, smartest, most beautiful/handsome on the planet? Mine are. My son decided he was going to sing in the choir this week-end...and took a mic and sang his little heart out...he did great! The children are learning to play the drums, violin, and I would like to pass on my limited knowledge of the banjo to them...I just have to purchase a banjo!
fl.gif

My hand is doing much better, I'm hoping to get back to playing the piano soon. My daughter is quick to pick up the notes on the piano...

Anyway we are all excited about the chickens...we have some church members who are watching this progress with extreme interest! (I think all good...lol) They have volunteered to help with the animals care when we have to go to campmeeting and youthcamps...
wee.gif

Well as I said in the first line...church night...and I have no clothes ironed...
And I've got to work up the courage to candle my eggs...
jumpy.gif

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Ok, here's the current tally.
Began with 24 eggs sent to me (9 were bonus)
22 made it into the incubator (2 were damaged in shipping) (Great packaging...rough P.O.)
Broke 1 with a thermometer (trying to install a wiggler) that made 21.

Tonight at 9:30 pm I candled my eggs!
8 were tossed. 6 Were obviously clear, and 2 were obvious blood rings, with not much else...the rest were dark except on the end...I checked inside the eggs...6 never started and 2 were blood rings.

Now, I'm watching and hoping
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
on the 13 eggs...
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

As a note...I think the eggs are all black silkies that have made it this far.

You know, I might just keep eggs incubating all the time!
woot.gif

My grandfather was a preacher for 40 years until he had to retire about 10 years ago due to heart problems. I LOVE reading your posts, it reminds me of being with my grandparents in their parsonage(s) through the years. My grandmother led the singing and sat in the front pew so she could keep her eye on my grandad. He had a habit of telling personal/family funnies that were not always funny to her, it used to tickle me to death.

Back
Top Bottom