Life long dream coming true

Kellygreen525

In the Brooder
May 18, 2019
This is my first year raising backyard fowl and it has long been a dream of mine. That city I was born and raised in did not allow chickens, so though my parents were aware of my love for them, they were spared the hassle. I got the hell out of dodge and this past year my husband bought us our first home on a half acre in Maine. Our first winter brought record breaking snowfalls and I had to dig out the last foot of snow so I could break ground on building my chicken coop in March while raising my little bundles of joy in my kitchen. I may have gotten a little carried away with the cuteness if chicks and ducklings and ended up with more than I anticipated. I had to build a duck house as well. I have 6 NH Barred Rocks (2 known females, 2 known males, 2 undecided 11 weeks old, bought straight run day olds), 2 female RI reds and 1 female Ameraucana, about 6 weeks old, 1 Pekin and 2 Black Swedish/Pekin mixes (I think) unknown genders about 2 months old. I couldn't be more in love. We are raising them for eggs and meat to become more self sustaining on our mini homestead. Any time I've googled a question, BYC always had the best discussion and I knew I had to take the plunge and join and I'm loving it already. Thanks for reading!

Back
Top Bottom