Life long dream coming true

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kellygreen525, May 19, 2019.

1. Kellygreen525

Kellygreen525 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    This is my first year raising backyard fowl and it has long been a dream of mine. That city I was born and raised in did not allow chickens, so though my parents were aware of my love for them, they were spared the hassle. I got the hell out of dodge and this past year my husband bought us our first home on a half acre in Maine. Our first winter brought record breaking snowfalls and I had to dig out the last foot of snow so I could break ground on building my chicken coop in March while raising my little bundles of joy in my kitchen. I may have gotten a little carried away with the cuteness if chicks and ducklings and ended up with more than I anticipated. I had to build a duck house as well. I have 6 NH Barred Rocks (2 known females, 2 known males, 2 undecided 11 weeks old, bought straight run day olds), 2 female RI reds and 1 female Ameraucana, about 6 weeks old, 1 Pekin and 2 Black Swedish/Pekin mixes (I think) unknown genders about 2 months old. I couldn't be more in love. We are raising them for eggs and meat to become more self sustaining on our mini homestead. Any time I've googled a question, BYC always had the best discussion and I knew I had to take the plunge and join and I'm loving it already. Thanks for reading!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Crossing the Road

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us and I hope you'll enjoy it here as much as we all do!

4. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Yaay, welcome to the crazy world of chickens and BYC!

5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your flocks of chicken's and duck's!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community.

8. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Free Ranging

Welcome to BYC! I resonate with that ditch the city for that country life dream. I’m allowed 5 hens but might still be a while before I get them, one reason being fear of raising them in winter, we get harsh ones too. Good luck on yours and congrats!

9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

10. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: