life with Waterbelly

I do not have a medical degree. I do not have the diagnostic equipment to properly insert a needle into the abdominal cavity without hitting a major blood vessel or without nicking an intestine or a liver. Yes, ascitic fluid can be drained. A flock owner, who is untrained in such a procedure, is IMO foolish to attempt it. The hen has a fatal condition. It would be a kindness to euthanize her.

I do not have a medical degree. I do not have the diagnostic equipment to properly insert a needle into the abdominal cavity without hitting a major blood vessel or without nicking an intestine or a liver. Yes, ascitic fluid can be drained. A flock owner, who is untrained in such a procedure, is IMO foolish to attempt it. The hen has a fatal condition. It would be a kindness to euthanize her.
Another good post!

thanks.. i pretty much gathered that was what was going on just not sure how long i should let her go on... i hate to see her uncomfortable... of course she was our sweetest hen... thanks for the confirmation !

yes i will not be attempting this as i think the cause of her discomfort is not the water belly itself but another underling issue...i will watch for another day or so...

Don't give up. We drained over 250 cc's of green fluid out of our buff orpington , that was this past December. She is alive and well. It first started when we noticed she stopped laying about a month prior to was noticing that she was getting a swollen abdomen. What we ended up doing was using a 16 gauge needle and syringe and draining the fluid out. Gave her a round of Tylan 50 for a week morning and night, she made it. Don't give up so easily.

This is her the day that we drained her. Look at her poor floppy comb. Also notice the crow stance.

Attachments

• PSX_20171212_201459.jpg
    PSX_20171212_201459.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 13
Here's what we drained out of her.

Attachments

• PSX_20171212_200930.jpg
    PSX_20171212_200930.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 13
  • PSX_20171212_200930.jpg
    PSX_20171212_200930.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 11
And here is Buffy just about 2 weeks ago. Look how bright her comb is and how healthy she looks and how happy she is. Don't give up so easily.

Attachments

• 2018-04-23_05-27-17.jpg
    2018-04-23_05-27-17.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom