Lifespan of a Parakeet?

Average life spans are exactly that...an average. each individual bird is different and therefore can live longer than average or less than average depending on how they have been cared for, what type of diet they have been fed and genetics. If your birdie is eating/acting normally i wouldnt be concerned. If it is hand tame you can monitor its weight and check for lumps that may be a sign of problems. when you feel on its chest, you should be able to feel the edge of its keel and good muscling on both sides. if the keel is very prominent it is under weight, if you cant feel its keel your birdie may be a bit over weight, which could lead to health problems and a shorter lifespan. when you feel its belly it should be soft. if it is hard or you can feel a lump your bird might have problems that it is hiding. Good Luck! hopefully you still have many happy years with your little friend

X2

Every bird is different in make up and of course their diet and external environment plays a huge part in how long they live. But I would say your parakeet lived out it's average life span. The lifespan of Parakeets is 8-10 years. You must have given given him a wonderful life to have made it that far. I have heard that accidents take more lives than the average lifespan of a parrot and many never make it to 6 years old due to accidental death.

I think you have nothing to worry about and may you have many more happy years with your Parakeets!

I worked at various pets stores for years and most people managed to keep their keets for less than two years. I had lots of my own make it to around 10 and the oldest one was 15.

Lisa

Like the others said, 10-15 years. A large part is up to the diet, if you feed lots of fruit and veggies they are more likely to live to around 15. Fatty liver disease is common in parrots from being fed too much seeds.

I imagine genetics play a big role as well.

Back
Top Bottom