Lifetime egg laying performance

TheFatBlueCat

Crowing
Oct 16, 2021
New Zealand
My Coop
My Coop
Hello lovely fellow chicken nerds. I have been pondering on the topic of the lifetime egg laying performance of hens versus their age. I'm wondering this as I'm waiting for two pullets to start laying and they just will not comply at 7 months old. However, I'm not entirely sure it matters. What are people's experiences of hens laying over their lifetime? What I mean is this, I have some hens who brood each year so obviously they take a break. When they do lay, they lay just as well as they ever did 4-5x per week in spring and maybe 3-4x the rest of the year (I haven't got any production reds anymore so 4 eggs a week is very acceptable). I wouldn't say they lay any worse in their second season than in their first. Spring 2022 will be their 3rd season so I shall pay attention. Another hen who is at least 4 years old also lays just as well as she ever did (although she would have been at least 2 when I got her) 3-4 eggs a week spring through until she molts (if she does) and she takes the winter off. Again, she usually raises some chicks for me so takes a peak season laying break. So what matters more? Total number of eggs available to be laid in a lifetime, or actual age of the hen? 4 years old (and she may be 5 or 6) is old for a laying hen but she still happily cranks out the eggs thus far.

Bringing it back to the original thought, should it matter to me if my reluctant pullets are late to start laying, if they will then continue to lay a fairly regular amount of eggs for several years?

This is more of a discussion rather than a question because I'm not sure there is any settled answer. More interested in your own experiences with egg laying performance. Provided the hens are not causing trouble in the flock I keep them as long as they are happy and healthy, regardless of their age, but I will make performance related choices when choosing which eggs to hatch.

I started out with dual purpose birds. They laid fair, but this year, I decided I would differentiate, and go more towards an egg laying flock, and keep meat birds for dinner, I like meat birds for frying or roasting.

I ordered a leghorn assortment. I will say these are the flightiest birds I have ever been around, and I don't go much for pets and have had chickens for years. I have had a serious case of chicken math, and after I got those chicks out of the brooder, I have a hen that went broody, and stuck 5 mutt eggs under her, and ordered 4 more chicks arriving at hatch time - brown eggs and blue and green eggs.

I really think that laying is more of take what you get. It follows breed patterns, but varies with each bird.

I am in a do over mode, after a crash with some coons. I have 4 old hens now and a rooster, and all these chicks to sort through by fall.

I think if you want good egg production, you need a multi-generational flock in which you add and remove birds each year.

Mrs K

This is a really good question. I bought some White Leghorns thru Tractor Supply, and for the first season they were awesome. One extra large white egg, every day from every hen, and great quality. Then they moulted, and took months to begin laying again. Once they did, the eggs were poor quality (shells, whites, and yolks) and good only to top dog food. I wouldn't get them again.
With red sex links (aka golden comets), I get 2-3 years of good eggs. Can anyone suggest breeds that do better?

Back
Top Bottom