Light as a heat source

bretharness

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 15, 2010
I am using a 40 watt bulb for Henry's little house does the light keep him from sleeping I was adopted by this rooster and do not have enough money to heat his little house any other way for now but I can shield it somehow to keep most of the light out

I personally, wouldnt be concerned about the light 24 /7 with a rooster except for all night crowing that might happen-I dont know if 40 watts would heat the coop much though-is the coop confined to keep out drafts and such? How big is it?? you could add alot of bedding for comfort and warmth too?? if he gets along with the other birds they might snuggle to stay warm. Also put some vasoline on his comb to prevent frostbite when it gets really cold:)

welcome-byc.gif
I almost forgot

thanks sonew123 I just dont want him to be stressed to much and he is the only one we have he is the nieghbors bird but wont go home and his little house is 2'x2'x2' and I have 8 inches of fresh pine shavings in there too, its wrapped with a heavy tarp and I have a sliding door to keep the varmints out
we were adopted by him after the neighbors other birds picked on him so much that he lost all his tail feathers so I ran them off and started feeding him and my wife can call him and he comes to her to be picked up. he is like a dog he follows us everywhere on our little farm, this spring if he lasts thru the winter I am going to get him his own little harem 6 girls should be enough lol

Quote:
He should be ok-is he allowed out to roam around?? Might me a tad crampy for a 24/7 cage but if he free ranges during day and only sleeps in there-sounds great-I had a quad in the smallest set up through the winter-but it stayed very warm and dry-and it was easy to clean-they didnt want to come outside during the freezing weather anyway-but I tried hahaha

Back
Top Bottom