1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light Braham Rooster? Show Quality?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewChickyMommy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. NewChickyMommy

NewChickyMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Below are two different chickens. Happy (named after Happy Feet because he/she is ALWAYS happy and curious) and Faline (from Bambi because she's so sweet and beautiful). I believe Happy is a rooster but I'm not sure what a Light Brahma would look like as a cockerel (can't find any pictures). Just is a little bigger and has a redder comb with a dif back tail than the others. They are about 5 weeks old now. Also I was wondering how do you know if your chicken is "show quality"? Thank you :]

Happy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Faline:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yup Happy feet is a cockeral, and Faline is a hen, and they're still too young to tell, even uglies (non show quality) can turn out BEAUTIFUL

3. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you! Is there a website or a forum on here that talks about when/how you know if your chicken is? I want to have fun with them and it seems like that is a fun thing to try!

4. no sorry, i cant ever find Brahma SOP (standard of perfection)

sorry, I would give you a link if i had one

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    If you're really interested in showing, I would recommend purchasing the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection (APA SOP). It's available through their store. You should be able to find breed club links and all kinds of good information at their website http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/.

I agree that Happy looks to be a cockerel and Faline looks to be a pullet at this point. Typically, your average hatchery bird is not normally going to be a show quality bird. There are exceptions though and occassionally you will find a bird through a hatchery that is a fantastic representative of its breed. There is one hatchery that I know for sure sells birds that are from show stock and breeds toward the SOP rather than towards production like most hatcheries. Your best bet for show quality birds is a person who breeds and shows their own birds. Good luck.

6. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you for the website! I will be looking into that!! Which hatchery sells show birds? Thank you!

7. I can tell you this much

the only way your gonna get a show bird is getting it from a breeder, hatcheries don't sell SOP birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by