Light Brahma chick - hen, roo, or too early to tell?

Nov 2, 2022
Quincy, FL
Hello! I have a 3 1/2 week old Light Brahma chick named Casper that I'm starting to wonder about.

Casper is feathering a lot slower than my other 14 birds, but is double the size of the others. I only have the one Brahma and it's my first time with this breed, so I'm not sure if it's typical for the fluffier birds to develop a bit slower. No comb or wattle development yet, but none of the birds have them.

I'm curious about your guesses! I know it's probably too early to tell, and I'm happy to post updates as the bird grows up. Casper lives up to their name and is the friendliest little ghost. Loves to perch on me 🥰

PXL_20221116_172725903.jpg

PXL_20221116_173022202.jpg

Hi! It’s too early to tell, BUT based on the comb, and wings it looks to be a pullet, update 7-9 weeks though. Then we can tell better by the comb and wattle color aswell as the comb and if they have a small small bump where the spur would be.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
I'll update with more pictures in a couple weeks.
For now, please enjoy Casper looking like a T-Rex.
PXL_20221117_002517658.jpg

The other birds got SO many feathers this week, but she's still all fuzz. Hopefully she catches up soon, or we're going to have a house chicken this winter 😅

Just wanted to share an update - two weeks later, and Casper is finally starting to get some feathers! 🤣 I'm very glad, it looks like she'll be able to go outside with the others in two more weeks.

I'm optimistic that she's a pullet at this point, but I've also convinced my spouse to let me keep Casper if I'm wrong and we end up with more roosters than we can handle 😂

Casper is still the friendliest out of our flock and I've grown attached

PXL_20221201_173254792.jpg

Just wanted to share an update - two weeks later, and Casper is finally starting to get some feathers! 🤣 I'm very glad, it looks like she'll be able to go outside with the others in two more weeks.

I'm optimistic that she's a pullet at this point, but I've also convinced my spouse to let me keep Casper if I'm wrong and we end up with more roosters than we can handle 😂

Casper is still the friendliest out of our flock and I've grown attached

View attachment 3338207
I'm thinking pullet as of right now, but could you get a comb picture?
He/she is about 5 1/2 weeks old now, right?

Back
Top Bottom