Light Brahma Chicken or Roo?

Robin6

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
Here is an update on my light brahma. It has started to get pretty red in the comb and those leck feathers are worrying me. Do you think it could be a cockerel? It is about 10-11 weeks old
1000003351.jpg

Do you think it could be a cockerel? It is about 10-11 weeks old
Gender specific saddle feathers would be barely starting to show. (Do you see pointy saddles coming in under those rounded ones already) Hackle feathers often look suspicious to me.. especially if they are patterned that might look pointy itself. I never go by hackles. With patterns sometimes sticking your hand or a sheet of paper behind the feather can reveal true feather shape verses optical illusion.

I actually agree and think pullet also.. noting that in my auto sexing cream Legbar and Welbar same age as yours.. the pullets are starting to get their first pinking.. very similar to yours.. with still small combs and wattles to match.. where as the males have been red for weeks already and swollen combs and wattles to match. Those flowing ones like the second example are closer to 16+ weeks.

1693061070275.png

1693061086724.png

She looks beautiful to me! :love

ETA: Roosters and hens are BOTH chickens. Under a year old they are considered pullets and cockerels.. but that's only distinctions between genders not species.

Back
Top Bottom