Light Brahma Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FamilyFarm12, Mar 11, 2018.

1. I ordered 2 Light Brahma chicks (along with a few others) and I’m curious, are Brahmas really big or normal size? (I will post pictures when I pick them up:)) thanks!

2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Do you mean are they big or normal size as chicks or as mature birds? Brahmas are a quite large when fully mature, but they are the same size as other large fowl breeds as chicks.

3. As mature birds. Sorry if that was unclear:)

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. Brahma Chicken5000

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Hatchery stock will not be as large as stock from a private breeder, but hatchery stock will still be bigger than other breeds. The hens weigh in at around 7-8 pounds while the roosters are known to weigh 12+ pounds (although it’s very rare as they aren’t as big as they used to be).

5. Ok thank you:)

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  6. Brahma Chicken5000

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Happy to help any time. :highfive:

7. CorvusFarm

CorvusFarm Chirping

Nov 26, 2017
    Corralitos, California
    Light Brahmas were some of the first chicks I ever had. They were bigger than the others, but most all of mine were heavier breeds. They were, for lack of a better term, "beefier" than the others. They also had the biggest personalities, and were absolute loves. You've made a great choice. :)

8. Thank you:)

9. Also another question, if I end up with a rooster, should I keep it?

10. morganalefae

morganalefae Head nut at the nut house

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    I own Brahmas my male who is not a year old yet weighs in round 10lbs and is roughly the size of my 2 year old daughter which is 2'5" so they are big. As for keeping a roo they can become protective of their girls when sexually mature so u might want to keep a eye on him cuz I had mine come at me when I took the eggs from the bene boxes and 2' some odd 10lb bird is not everyones ideal thing to be attacked (in my case kicked) by. My girls are roughly 1/2 - 3/4 his size and weight around 6-8 lbs. I don't know about hatchery bred brahmas but I would defo say go to a breeder I did. I have also just hatched out some of my roos babies a combo of pure and crosses and all had to be helped out as they were to big for the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: